Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pigashalaka

landing in Barwick, Ontario/Mantiou Rapids

5 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone had any information about the landing in Barwick, ON? I am just trying to avoid the zoo that will be showing up this weekend for the walleyes on the american side. Has anyone fished by Manitou Rapids this time of year? Would it make any sense to be that far upstream or should I focus on more downstream? Also, can you get to Manitou Rapids from the Barwick landing, or are there more sets of rapids to contend with? I have border cross and canadian permit, so I would be good to go. Any information on that landing or fishing manitou rapids this time of year would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Pig

I used the Barwick ramp several years back. Its was in good shape from what I could remember, but we had to slide our boat in about 3ft due to high shore ice/shelf. I should be totally ice free now I would guess. The section you are talking about may be real nice as far as traffic goes, but the river is way down and there are new hazards even in the nomally "safe" areas so be careful. We did very good the time I fished it.

Gorilla has a good point about being heads up for obstacles on the river. Sandbars and rocks that I have never seen are showing up everywhere.

The Manitou area will be a good area to fish. There will be lots of shore fisherman in this area, but my guess is that there will be few boats up there fishing it. We always take a fourwheeler and drag out 14' down the hill on the american side. It should be good fishing, we have always done well there. Work the edges of the current and up into the eddy on the american side. I have found the 'eyes in shallower in this area.

I haven't put in at the Barwick access before, but I think that it is above the Sioux Rapids( but not 100% positive ). With the Sioux Rapids out of the way, your main concern will be sandbars, rocks and deadheads. Take it slow and you'll be fine.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!

PS: A little late notice, but don't take anything other then a jet boat from Barwick West. I lost track of how many rocks we hit, my buddies nice yami is in tough shape after today. What a nasty stretch of river.

Yeah she is a nasty and unforgiving river, especially when it is low. Even those that know the river well run into problems at times. They make a set of nav maps for the river that you can get from some bait shops in canada that has the markers and the nav. routes for the river....not perfect, but really helpful.