Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crowhunter14

Silver Lake

11 posts in this topic

Has anybody seen the small orange bouys on the east shore of Silver Lake? I noticed them yesterday and was curious what they are for.

Sounds like trap nets for netting out yearling walleyes.

I believe thats what it is. I believe that they have been doing that for a few years now out there, but i could be wrong.

There has been alot of people out there that were fishing it in the winter time.

Silver Lake had a hard freeze out this winter the shore lines were full of dead fish at ice out. They were washed up in to the cat tails in all the bays. I suppose those are test nets too see if anything survived, and then the DNR will re-stock it with more fry.

thats what id say they are test nets and maybe just seeing wat they can get out of there and i think they use that as a rearing pond

That's what I've been told as well.

Thanks for the posts. It's good to know that the DNR hasn't forgotten about the lake at least. Hopefully the winter didn't take out all the fish.

When the DNR uses a lake or pond for rearing they want it to freeze out every couple of years. If it doesn't freeze out it is not as good for rearing. Carp and bullheads will take over if the lake doesn't free out once and awhile.

Are we still able to fish the lake for walleyes even though it is a rearing pond, when the season is open?

You can fish Silver Lake just as any other lake when the season is open.

Thanks, I live in Glencoe so that is a close lake that i can get to.