Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GoggleEye

Metro Lakes where trolling is permitted???

11 posts in this topic

Can anyone give me some advice on some lakes in the metro where you can legally troll? I usually like to troll for walleyes and muskies, so lakes with descent population of good sized eyes and skis would be preferred. {Please read forum policy} Thanks for any help. Good luck.

GoggleEye

trolling is allowed in most metro lakes, i have never heard of there being a no trolling rule anywhere. That being said some metro lakes are electric motor only.

You can troll in any Minnesota lakes. Some lakes have electric motor only restrictions but you could still troll with your electric trolling motor.

Edit-looks like Bobbo snuck in before me.... I never understood why Wi doesnt allow trolling for muskies. Is trolling not allowed at all?

Any lake in Minneapolis has a no gas motor rule, you have to trim the motor up out of the water too.

Yeah, there is no rule against trolling in minnesota. I'm aware of that stupid rule you guys have in wisconsin. Does the WI DNR have a theory as to why they have that rule in affect? I'm not 100% sure, but aren't you only allowed to troll in rivers over there?

Anyway, as far as good lakes to try. Can't beat bald eagle for muskies, has some walleyes too. White bear is pretty good lake too, lot's of space for trolling. You can try forest lake, it's good for walleyes but not sure how many muskies are in there. If you wanna go way across to the west metro, lake independence is good for muskies and walleyes too. The problem with them places is they are all VERY popular lakes with skiers and pleasure boaters.

GoggleEye: Do you realize that motor trolling is allowed county-wide in Polk County? I've had some fair days trolling shad raps for walleyes on Wapo.

If you're interested in trolling the metro, the Mississippi River can be a good trolling spot. Several options between shorelines, side channels and other areas where trolling runs are more efficient than casting. Trolling the area between the MN river confluence and Lock and Dam 1 is popular, and I've put several walleyes in the boat between 27" and 30". From now through May can be good in that reach.

As to the reason why "no trolling" in Wisconsin? I don't know the answer, but I presume its an old rule intended to control harvest. In Wisconsin, you can use 3 lines but no trolling (with noted exceptions). In MN, you can troll, but only use 1 line per person.

Thanks for the help guys. I know the rule about trolling in wisconsin is pretty stupid, I definitely don't agree with it. However like Big E said, we also are allowed to use three lines in wisconsin and in minnesota you can only use 1.....doesn't exactly leave a lot of room for exploring different bait options. However I do like the fact that you can troll any water in minnesota!! I never knew that. I wish that minnesota would bump their line allowance up to 3 and wisconsin would get their head out of their a*s and allow trolling everywhere. Then it would be a perfect world...right.....

Good luck all and thanks for the help.

GoggleEye

Wisconsin DOES allow trolling except for designated Class A musky waters. Trolling is banned on those lakes to protect the muskies. Says something about how effective trolling can be when fishig muskies. And I would settle for 2 lines per fisherman when trolling in MN.

Page 7 of the Wisconsin 2007 Fishing Regulations states that "It is Illegal... to motor troll except in counties and waters listed in the section titled Special

Regulations—Listed by County."

What am I missing?

An old timer (King of the Cheeseheads)told me that the reason they started the no trolling law was to keep people from tearing up the vegetation in the shallows.I know I thought it sounds odd too but I'm only the messenger!c63

what they used to do was run through the cabbage beds wide open a few times psuhing all the fish to the outside and then they would troll around for them. it made for easy catching of muskies and northerns