Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Walleye_king

When to go for spring Crappies?

Walleye_king

I've only fished URL through the ice and am planning on making my first open-water trip this Spring. When is a good time to go? Where is the best launching place? Any other info I should be aware of?

Thanks-

Michael

vitalshot5

I usually do my best spring crappie fishing in the SPRING!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gif

crappeyeslayer

Ive had my best luck for the first 2 weeks after ice out! But that time can change every year so you have to be flexable! Good luck!

Rebels75

West Wing in Waskish has a very nice marina and access.

CatManLee

I agree West Winds has a good access, just don't back down the ramp too far, it gets kinda rough. The public Access is also very nice and easy to use.

As for what time to go? I usually go up there and fish a couple of days after the crappie bite has ended...Not because I want too, it just seems that's how it always works out for me. So just wait till I say when I'm coming up and plan on going a week or so before that date, if you do that, you should do just fine! grin.gif I'm serious....grin.gif

Borch

I've done well from mid may through the first part of June. After that it gets pretty tough. Who know when the ice is gonna go off this spring. I'm guessing May 3rd. shocked.gif

Random guy

Currently crappies (I think) are just confused. crazy.gif They should be moving out of the mud and making the treck closer to the last sandbar/breakiline across the gravel ridges warming up for the bug hoo ha in the spring. Trouble is the water is low the ice won't leave and they are still moody crappies. Now Red lake does not follow the text book of when crappies should spawn and where they should spawn. My best plan would be to come up before walleye opener and after ice out that I'm guessing should take place between the 24-27th of April, I could be way off on that but I'm hoping no later. That gives you a two/ two and a half week window to work some crappies before the lake comes under attack and the fish start going into the post spawn slowdown.

DancesWithWaves

This year will be my fifth in a row for early crappies. Feeding frenzy will start about 5 days after iceout and last a couple of weeks depending on temp. Actual crappie spawn won't occur till june. The northwest wind and snow a few years ago made it feel worse than January ice fishing. Dress in winter garb.

crappiekid

Is Hillmans open to summer fishing and a good landing?

They are awesome in the winter!

analyzer

It's nice if you have a flexible schedule...

It has been my experience, the best fishing is the first 3 days of warm CALM sunny weather when the water temps have reached 60 degrees.

Watch this forum for water temps, and when they reach 60, then just watch your weather patterns... if you see 2 or 3 days of 70 degree sunny weather with light wind... you're in business...

good luck finding lodging last second though. If there's nothing on the lake, you can often stay in either blackduck (drake motel is excellent) or you could try clementson resort on the rainy river... it's an hour or so north, but a nice place to stay... and then you can fish LOW and the rainy as well.

Staying at the drake is nice, because if it's a windy day, you can hit smaller blackduck lake which has good fishing.

Another site you can check for information about the bite is "rogerscg.net" for rogers campground... they're on the south side of the lake, and post daily (well, almost daily) reports of the fishing...

Flexibility is key... When the wind blows, the water gets stirred up and things slow down... for the crappies anyway... the walleyes like the chop.

And just a suggestion, get away from the crowds...just like ice fishing... you can catch em off that first break, any where on the lake, you don't have to park 25 feet from another boat.