• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

NFL Player Conduct Policy: PacMan Jones Out for Year, Henry 8 games

Scott M

From ESPN.com

Adam "Pacman" Jones of Tennessee was suspended Tuesday for the 2007 NFL season and Chris Henry of Cincinnati received an eight-game suspension -- both for numerous violations of the NFL's personal conduct policy.

The two players are suspended without pay, the NFL announced. Jones will lose $1,292,500 -- his 2007 base salary -- as a result of the suspension. Henry will lose $204,705.88 in salary if the Bengals' bye week comes after Week 8. He will lose $230,294.12 if the Bengals' bye week falls in the first eight weeks of the season, meaning he will miss nine weeks of pay.

After they serve their suspensions, each player must apply for reinstatement.

"We must protect the integrity of the NFL," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "The highest standards of conduct must be met by everyone in the NFL because it is a privilege to represent the NFL, not a right. These players, and all members of our league, have to make the right choices and decisions in their conduct on a consistent basis."

In a letter to each player, Goodell wrote: "Your conduct has brought embarrassment and ridicule upon yourself, your club, and the NFL, and has damaged the reputation of players throughout the league. You have put in jeopardy an otherwise promising NFL career, and have risked both your own safety and the safety of others through your off-field actions. In each of these respects, you have engaged in conduct detrimental to the NFL and failed to live up to the standards expected of NFL players. Taken as a whole, this conduct warrants significant sanction."

Jones' off-field conduct has included 10 incidents where he was interviewed by police. The most recent took place in Las Vegas during the NBA All-Star weekend. Las Vegas police have recommended felony and misdemeanor charges against Jones after a fight and shooting at a strip club that paralyzed one man.

Jones' suspension could be longer or shorter depending on developments in that case, an official with knowledge of the details of the suspension told The Associated Press. He requested anonymity because the Las Vegas case is still pending.

Reached at her Georgia home, Jones' mother, Deborah Jones, said: "I just pray that this can be changed. This is not fair for him. It's just not fair."

Henry was arrested four times in a 14-month span, resulting in two benchings by coach Marvin Lewis and a two-game league suspension. He was one of nine Bengals arrested in nine months.

Goodell handed down the suspensions under the NFL's existing conduct policy and also announced a new broader policy that will allow longer fines and suspensions for players and potential penalties against teams.

Both the Titans and the Bengals said they supported the suspensions.

"While we regret the circumstances that called for it, it's good for both Chris and the Bengals to have the matter resolved," said Bengals coach Marvin Lewis. "Our team will move forward, and now it is up to Chris to acquire a more mature understanding of his responsibilities as a player for the Bengals and a representative of the NFL."

The Titans released the following statement:

"We appreciate the Commissioner's thoughtful decision today and the discipline plan imposed on Adam Jones," the Titans said. "We respect this decision and are confident this is in the best interest of the league and the team. We are hopeful that it will achieve the goals of disciplining the player and eventually enabling him to return to the field of play. Our goals for Jones are consistent with the league's in that regard."

Jones' suspension carries the following conditions:

• He must have no more run-ins with law enforcement.

• He must comply with all required counseling, education, and treatment assigned by the NFL or the judicial system.

• He must obey the restrictions that have been agreed to by he and the Titans.

• He may not be at the Titans' facility through May 31 and may not participate in any practices or workouts during his suspension. Starting June 1, he must visit the team facility once per week to meet with the team's player development director. Also, beginning June 1, he is permitted to spend one day a week at the team facility for conditioning, film study, and other activities.

• In conjunction with the Titans, Jones must develop a structured program of community service or other activity. This program must be submitted to the NFL for approval.

Henry will be reinstated after the Bengals' eighth regular-season game if he meets the following conditions:

• He must have no more run-ins with law enforcement.

• He must comply with all required counseling, education, and treatment assigned by the NFL or the judicial system.

• He is allowed to be at the Bengals' facilities during the rest of the offseason and he must meet weekly with the team's player development director.

• If he fully complies with all conditions, he may participate in the training camp and Bengals preseason games.

• During the 2007 season, he must meet weekly with the team's player development director, but he may not attend or participate in practice.

• He must fully comply with all conditions imposed on him by any court, including requirements of community service.

If Jones and Henry do not fully comply with these conditions, they could be permanently banished from the NFL.

"I must emphasize to you that this is your last opportunity to salvage your NFL career," Goodell wrote to the players. "I urge you to take full advantage of the resources available to support you in that effort."

KUDOS to Roger Goodall and the NFL for cracking down on these thugs! I sure hope in the future they don't bother waiting until a guy has been arrested ten times but its good to see they are laying the law down. No regular company would not keep a person of this man's character on their payroll and the NFL teams should be no different. Its about time this BS is stopped!!! I would like it to no longer be the National Felony League.

The NFL has had plenty of opportunity to do the right thing but it took a dope like Pacman to push it to a head. The commish and owners will never wash the stink off their hands.

It took a new commish to rid the NFL of the NBA type players. Maybe he can get some of the cry babies to honor their contracts too. What happened to the coach that could kick the crap out of a player when they acted like a dumb a$$? I know a couple of high school couches that these guys should meet.

Philth,

I shudder to think what the new kid on the block is going to lay down on my man Tank The Crank after he gets out of the big house!!!

Windy

Hopefully he gets what he deserves.

I have been a die hard football fan until late i am starting to lose interest. The thugs and cry babies of the league are giving the NFL a NBA reputation.

I can't even look to these guys to be a role model to my kids like they were when I was younger. Other than my dad, Bo "Knows" Jackson, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, guy like the were my idol when I was younger.

I am leading my kids towards baseball more than anything because of guys like Mauer, Hunter, Morneau, and pretty much the rest of the Twins. They go out there do there job, so respect, help out the community and stay out of trouble.

Thanks for letting me vent a little.

I'm with you Philth,

I happen to have the top role model hands down as my NFL favorite...Sweetness.

Hands down, Walter was the biggest stud, sweetest guy, greatest team mate, played the game the way it was meant to be played, worked out like a maniac for his body, didn't get it from the juice and unfortunately died way too young. These guys these days really make us old timers long for the "good ole days".

I don't think I will get even the biggest Viking or Packer fan to disagree with that.

Windy

Quote:

I happen to have the top role model hands down as my NFL favorite...Sweetness.

Hands down, Walter was the biggest stud, sweetest guy, greatest team mate, played the game the way it was meant to be played, worked out like a maniac for his body, didn't get it from the juice and unfortunately died way too young. These guys these days really make us old timers long for the "good ole days".

I don't think I will get even the biggest Viking or Packer fan to disagree with that.

Sweetness was the greatest running back that I've ever seen. 99 yards. Right up the middle. I remember that moment all too well.

I think the new NFL commissioner did a great thing by dishing out the strong suspensions. There is too much "Look at me!" mentality by the players in the NFL today. It's also time that the new commish puts a stop to all the excessive celebrations during the game. Unless a player is doing the "Crazy Legs" after a touchdown, there is no need to dance during a football game. Some of you older guys know what I'm talking about.

• 2 months later...

I see Jones has felony charges against him from another strip club incident. Some people never learn. Throw him out on the street and ban him from the NFL.

the felony charges stem from the incident in Las Vegas back in feb. but he is being questioned by police for an incident monday night that involved some of his entrouge. He told the comissioner that he was gonna clean up his act and stay away from toruble well sounds like he once again has followed the wrong path and if he was involved in this latest incident in any way the NFL should cut ties with this trash.

I dont know which is a bigger waste of talent.....Ricky or Pacman......I just don't understand how someone could throw away such an amazing oppourtunety. What a waste, get him out of the league!

These players have life by the balls and they always seem to ruin it. How nice would it be to only work 3 hours a week and have practices in between?? I would love to have one of these players step in our shoes for 1 week and I guarantee they wouldn't last 1 day. I hope this new commish throws the book at all these clowns, year suspension for any incident they are involved in no if and's or buts and maybe these players might clean up their act.