Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spanky

Red Lake Seals

13 posts in this topic

Kelly, I rememember you posting a storie about Fosters renting to a group from out of state, my 8 year old thought that was cool story and wants to share for school , Ilooked back over the past 4 months of postings but can not find it. Thanks

The nastiest trick that I have ever seen pulled on URL. Pulled by Pat Foster/Club Red. Let me check the archives before I have to retype it all.

From 2000

"Pat Foster started renting some houses out this winter. In the summer he is on the Pro Walleye Tour. A while back he had some people he knew from the Tour that are from New York up to do their first ice fishing in MN. When he put them into the house he explained that they would have to watch out for the seals. He told them that the seals are chasing the crappies around under the ice and when a crappie is being pulled up when caught the seals think it is crippled and go after it. They will even follow the crappie up the hole and into the house so a person has to be very carefull when reaching down to get a crappie because a seal might be there and bite you instead of the crappie. He made the story even better when he told them that the seals were protected and if they came into the house the best thing to do would be to leave the house or use the sticks he provioded the people to try to push the seals back down the hole. The people fished for 2 days fearing one of these seals coming up the hole and trying to bite them. Pat plans on telling those people the truth next summer AFTER they have told 1,000's of other New Yorkers about the seals that attack people in Northern MN."

Pat had them raise every fish they caught slowly straight up 3 feet and watch the hole for a seal coming after the fish. If the fish came off the hook and landed by the hole DO NOT EVER PUT YOUR HAND BY THE HOLE in case a seal was waiting under the ice. The seal would bite your fingers right off.

He pulled it again last year on some people from a neighboring state. He scared them so bad that they asked him for a hammer and nails to nail the hole covers shut while they were sleeping to keep the seals out of the house. Pat brought them a hammer and nails and let them nail the hole covers shut.

Thank you Desperado , thats the one I was looking for , Spanky

We rented from Pat a few weeks ago. I told my son about Pat's seal story and we decided to tell pat and have him go along with it with the third guy in our party. When we got out to the house I knowingly asked pat what that stick was hanging on the wall of the fish house and Pat went into the story. This poor guy was fascinated and so my son and I set it up for later the next morning. When the "innocent" guy left the house to walk out to get something out of the truck the next morning, we tipped the bucket of crappies over in the house and the two of us "busted" out of the house, screaming, falling on the ice as we tripped over ourselves yelling "there's a seal in the house!!!!!, he's going to eat the crappies", jumping up and down and then running over to look back in the house through the window from the outside... screaming the whole time. It was a classic,,,, the innocent guy ran to get a tire iron out of the truck and ran back into the house. Of course the seal had left by then and order was quickly restored. I'm laughing now as I remember his face. He still doesn't know the joke. Can't wait till next year!!!

Too good! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

How can people be that stupid???

Although, when I was 16 and started my first job as a dishwasher/busboy, there were a number of jokes they'd play on the new "scared" employee.

You're so desperate to be helpful and productive, you dont think about what they're asking you to do...

So when someone tells you to go get the "light-bulb-repair kit" you dont think twice about it... and everyone is in on it. So you ask John where it is, and he says it's on a shelf in back, and you go look, and someone else says they used it, and they think Mike had it last, and they bump you around from employee to employee, and EVERYONE knows the game... eventually they tell you it's downstairs in the basement (did I mention there was no basement)... so now you spend 10 minutes opening every door trying to find the basement stairs... then someone tells you you have to go about back and in a separate door to the basement, and once outside, they lock you out, then you have to go around front to get back in... and the entire staff is waiting in the lobby to laugh their a$$ off at you...

Pretty funny. Of course, then you get to be part of it for the next guy.

Do people REALLY think there are seals in the middle of the united states???

The Red Lake Seals practical joke is the best one ever.

Tell this guy he's not really living in URL and don't love eating crappies! grin.gif He's been getting fat eating up all the 15 plus inchers!

fostersealke5.jpg

C'mon, Dan - that little guy could EASILY fit up an 8" hole to come into my fishhouse to eat my crappies! laugh.gif

It could happen...yeah, just like the PowerBall.

Those Big dogs can only come up thru the spear holes !

It's the little one's you gotta watch out for ! ! !

grin.gif

I bet you didn't know!?! Mad Zoo Keepers swipe one

of their pups every year to train it to be the

next "Sparky" ! shocked.gif

snipe

Hmmmm... i wonder why they call him snipe ? confused.gif

I'm not sure if he can fit up an 8 inch hole or not but the striking resemblence to Foster is scary. grin.gif

Dang, that does look like Foster, that bull is most likely much more freindly although.

Quote:

How can people be that stupid???

You'd be amazed. My boss was in Virginia last year for an AAU basketball tourney for her daughter. There were people there from all over the US. One team they played against was from Atlanta. They asked my boss if people lived in igloos in MN!!

Remember Hurricane Katrina and how they were going to bring several thousand people to Camp Ripley? Well, when they found out they were going to MN they refused because MN is of couse covered in snow year 'round!