Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bigbartguy

water levels

13 posts in this topic

anyone have any guess on water levels this spring? I havent been up in a a couple of months. I'm just trying to figure out if I should start planning to add onto our dock to even get our boat in this year. mad.gif

thanks!

I was up north yesterday. The swamps are finally getting some good water in them and with the snow still on the ground and more precipitation on the way we might be ok. We need some good spring rains. Still lots of ice on all the lakes north of aitkin and a few people icefishing. The old miss and other rivers and creeks are coming up. The outlook is not as bad is it was.

Yeah, I definitely pray that the water levels work their wawy back up. Last fall the levels were pretty grim. We were done fishing by the 2nd week in October because the pontoon was sitting in sand even when it was all the way at the end of the dock.

I feel your pain spork. I had to use both my atvs and winches block and tackel four large men. Never in my life have i seen the lake that low in my life.

What lakes are you talking about or were all of the lakes in the area way down last year? Thanks.

Was there water in the lakes last fall? Hmmm..I don't recall seeing much of that. Alot of dead fish though. I'm on Big Sandy..very, very low last year. I'm wondering if we'll get the boat in the water this year. I'll hopefully be heading up this weekend to open up the cabin. Would love to get some fishing in but I don't think that is in the cards. Any of you fish Big Sandy? Got any tips for that lake?

We are on round lake by palisade which is just north of aitkin. Most all lakes i fished last year are down.

If Sandy's down more than it was from last year, my new boat wont make it from Sandy to Aikin. frown.gif

I'll be up Aug 3rd.

Lisa- are you married to Howie or do you have a friend named Melanie? not sure if you are the Lisa I'm thinking of or not.

yeah the Cicscos were dying from the warm water temps last year - I saw some big ones floating around

Tim

Hey guys,

No, I'm not married to Howie nor do I have a friend Melanie. Sorry!

If you're talking about boating the Big Sandy River...wow...be careful. Water was so low on Big Sandy lake last year our boat was sitting on the bottom and we could hardly get to the dock. The dam should open up to raise levels some but it's been dangerously low. My husband said he's never seen it that low in all of the 30 yrs. he's been on that lake. I was really hoping to hear all the rain/snow this spring has brought the levels up.

Well, there's always a canoe if the boat won't make it. As much as I love Walleye and Northern fishing I love the action of pan fish. Anyone have any pointers for panfishing on Big Sandy? I'm a novice who feels more comfortable ice fishing. An old flame taught me ice fishing but we never did much boat fishing.

I'm also looking for some women's fishing clubs. I'd love to get more involved. Does anyone here know of any? Thanks guys. You've been a great help and I look forward to getting to know you better.

come'on guys - let's see some pointers! Only thing I can say is to fish shallow. I've never fished the lake as hard as I should have

I go up to Big Sandy every weekend and yes, the water level is low. Hopefully they can keep the dam closed for awhile so the level can rise. There were still people out fishing this weekend despite many open water areas around points/islands.

I was up to Big Sandy this weekend as well. I saw the main channel areas were open but that was about it. Actually our neighbor was out ice fishing on Sat. Said the ice was 17" thick in the middle of the lake. Guess it'll be a while before we put the boat in huh? The marsh areas were basically mud with small amounts of standing water in spots. It was rather depressing for water levels but the lake sure was beautiful.