Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Badger_55

Onboard Chargers?

10 posts in this topic

I have decided to go with an onboard charger with my two batts up front. The only thing is that I really am not that educated on these chargers. With two batteries in the bow I am looking at a two bank but will someone enlighten me on how they work and where do you usually install it in the boat. Thanks

You will want a bank for each battery charged. I put mine right in with my batteries. If you want to charge your starting battery as well get a 3 bank and a 4 bank if you have a 4th battery.

Lots og good onboard chargers.

Do a search this has been talked about a lot lately.

I got a used boat, so it was already installed, but it's tucked in under the passenger console. Just plug the extension cord in and let'er go! Sure is nice to have one!

Mine is a Minnkota brand 2-bank charger.

What do some of you guys think about the Minnkota inboard chargers. I'm trying to find out for my father in-law who has gone through two "Pro-tournament" brands or pro something or other. I believe he had them wired right too. At least I hope because the dealer was the one that wired them.We were looking at the Minnkotas at Gander this weekend, but he hasn't decide which new one he wants to buy yet. It will be a three bank.

I own a tiller with the two batts up in front, now if I were to get a three instead of a two where would the best place be to put that thing to reach the cranking and the other two?

What I've done in the past to reach a battery in the rear of the boat (since there are two hatteries up front) is to extend the leads on the charger to the rear battery. Be sure to use a heavier gauge wire. I believe at the time I used 12 gauge.

marine_man

Doser...so far so good with my Minnkota charger. My boat is an '04 and it's the original charger.

I am also a MinnKota guy, had a 2 bank but upgraded my TM to 24V and now added a single bank also for my starting Battery (it sits on the lift during the week) and it is nice to just get up the and plug it in unload get stuff set and know it is ready when I get down there to fish.

I just bought a new boat yesterday (yeah!), and I'm also wondering how the wiring goes if you get a 2- or 3-bank charger and want to charge both batteries of a 24v setup? One bank per battery, connecting to each terminal, or what?

(Sorry, Badger. I really don't mean to hijack your post. Just thought maybe the responses could kill our two birds with one stone, ya know!)

-John

Quote:

One bank per battery, connecting to each terminal, or what

Yes, this is correct. One set of wires per battery.

marine_man