Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PikeKing

Opener tactics

7 posts in this topic

Hi all. Ill be coming up to Ottertail 2 days after the opener. Just wondering what tactics you guys like to use that time of year? Im not a big walleye guy so all ive ever really used is a jig and minnow with very limited sucsess. Lindy rigs? Trolling crankbaits? Are shiners more productive? I really appreciate any help.

For me its been lake shiners hands down the best! We seign our own on East Battle, so that helps the cause a ton.

Homemade lindy rigs with 4lb XT, 6 feet long, number 4 Gamakatsu hook(multiple colors to test the waters).

Been fantastic for my boat up there for several years using that method. I even took 2 bassheads out last year opening day, and we got close to limits for 4 of us in a few hours. And that was an off year for numbers for us.

OK, I must eat crow here. My login is biglakebass, but dang, I do like to drag lines in OT for them sandcarp. grin.gif

That was very tough to admit. So be gentle on me.

biglake that is a disgrace, haha im jk.

He is correct with shiners but dont overlook pitching some leaches in teh weeds or going to a slip bobber, a deadly tactic sometimes overlooked. shocked.gif

Every year is different.

Top 3 choices

1. Minnow on lindy

2. Minnow on jig

3. Minnow on slip bobber.

Minnows until water gets above low 50's then a leech cannot be beat!

Thanks guys for the responses, all helpfull. Deacon thanks for the tip about water temps, didnt know that. If anyone else can help im all ears. Gissert, Chuck? You guys have been a big help in the past. Im not looking for spots, im pretty familair with the lake now, just a few ways to get some eyes in the boat. Thanks again.

Sorry Pike, I don't have much to add to what has already been said. I am still learning the OTL open water game myself. I pretty much have been ice only there until last summer.

I've seen lots of people do different things fishing on ot around the opener. If you don't have a clue and you see someone else catching fish in the same spot... u can usually tell what there using.. that's what people do when there fishing around us and not catching anything...Shiners are the ticket on ot for me anyway.. shiners and fireball jigs with stinger hooks, cause sometimes they'll just nibble a couple times before they take it.. this way you'll rarely miss them... good luck fishing!!!!

TB