Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
guide2live

carp and other rough fish

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

Anybody fish carp or rough fish in the Brainerd area? I was born and raised in Brainerd, and went to college in Moorhead. Started fishing the Red and I loved catching catfish and carp, mainly for the fight. Just wondering if a guy can experience that here in good-ol brainerd?

guide2live,

My only experience with the carp in the Brainerd area has been with bow and arrow. I have caught them with hook and line, and it was a blast, just not around here.

I can tell you that the carp move into the shallows (and huge ones at that) on Lake Mille Lacs in May and early June. We've shot them up to 36#. There are also lots of carp in the Mississippi River, and I think the farther south you go, the better. The St. Cloud, Kimball, Clear Lake, Annandale, South Haven area is really infested with them too. A guy ought to be able to get them with hook and line pretty easily, especially during the summer.

Another possibility is Cedar Lake, over in Aitkin County. I have seen some huge Bigmouth Buffalo over there (also pushing 40 lbs), but have just been too into the musky fishing to give it a try. I usually see them in the heat of the summer, when the water gets up into the 70's and 80's. They're usually basking in the sun in the calm water...not sure if they would feed or not, but if they would, I'll bet catching them would be a riot.

Good Luck,

Thanks Tim, for the info! I work full-time for WDan, I'm the young guy with the same name as you. I have seen you on a few trips. I plan on chasing some of the rough fish before all the other popular fish start up. Tight lines and good luck this summer.

Hi Tim and Tim,

Nice web site Tim. I just spent some time looking through it, nice job and good luck to you.

Walleyedan

Thanks Dan and Tim....good to hear from you guys. I just joined as a sponsor, and expect to be spending a bit more time on some of the area sites here. It will be fun talking about fishing here with you guys...looking forward to that.

Tim, about the carp fishing. I have seen them in the far back part of vineland bay on Mille Lacs as early as late April/early May. Typically, they are in the very shallow water basking in the sun (not sure they're feeding), and they are very spooky. But every time it gets cold, they disappear until it warms up again. The logical spot to me is the 15-20 foot hole in the narrows leading into that back part of the bay. That seems to me like it would be a staging area for them to congregate prior to spawning, and could be a great opportunity for some huge fish. I'll let you know when I start seeing them. If you need a fishing partner sometime, let me know.

Hopefully will see you guys on the water or at the bait shop soon!

You can do great with Carp in the Sippi, or the best spot besides Mille Lacs would be the Gull Dam. As for Kitties, you will need to head down to St. Cloud.

I would be interested in taking care of some problem carp in the area too with my bow. I've spent some time bowfishing in the north metro and had good luck, but since I moved to Pine River 2 years ago I haven't had a chance to go bowfishing, and I think it's about time I get back out there!

If anybody knows any lakes north of Brainerd that have carp in them I'd glady remove a few!

thanks for the info Tim, I would like to get'um with the fly. Heard it was like bone fishing in the keys. Think warm weather!!

guide2live,

You should come down to St.Peter (Gustavus), we can put you on fly eating carp until you are "green in the gills".

Dan

Used to fish a small pond called Pamela Lake in the West Metro ara as a kid, and learned to fly fish for Carp from another old gentleman also named Paul. After some time, I developed a favorite strategy.. Casting a white miller wet fly tipped with a tiny piece of angle worm just ahead of the big fish and if it didn't ake the bait on the first slow drop, I could usually get them to hit while slowly raising the fly back toward the surface. Then the battle would begin! Carp are like hooking into a small bull dozer, they are strong and fast in their runs and look for tangles to wrap up in. When fishing from the little duck boat instead of from shore we were safer from tangles but the fish could tow that boat around the pond like it had a small diesel inboard! Good memories. Old paul also taught me to "Fillet" a good sized carp with a very sharp axe, which is one of the best ways to get those super heavy rib bones seprated from the back bone. Then use knife to skin the fillet. Carp have a very good rich flavor when baked or when smoked. My Grandpa used to have me help hang Carp in his smoker after soaking in brine for a day.

Of course Carp will actively feed on bottom baits like worms, corn, and dough, but I have had them come after mister twisters, follow spinners, and small baits like flies and crappie jigs. I give them a big credit as a valuable natural resource, food source, and sporting fighting fish.

hey dan,

Us Cobbers don't really head down that way. However, if your looking for muskies...then I can help ya wink.gif