Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishky06

Knife Lake?

42 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone knows how much open water is out there. I am looking to head up there in a week or so.

I went by the lake yesturday along 65 and i couldn't see any open water.

Thanks for the report. This weather is crazy, it needs to warm up fast I am sick of just looking at my boat.

These were from April 2nd, south access and fetcheimer, but I'm sure thats changed by now with this weather. Hopefully they're right about the 50s next week......

knifesouthaccess_040107.jpg

knifefetchheimer_040107.jpg

I'm surprised nobody on the pier?? It should be a zoo there soon.

Did the ice conditions changed at all this week?

I'm headed up tomorrow morning, couple of new projects going at the cabin. I'll post Sunday any ice conditions. I'm on Jenneke Point. I'd sure like to get the dock and lift in next week. We'll see. Bill

bturck,

That wouldn't happen to have been you that came out on the lake and gave me some helpful hints while I was fishing off the point towards the later end of this winter?

A friend of mine said there was a guy ice fishing out there this morning.

Keep the reports coming. My brothers have two cabins on the lake and need to put the docks in next weekend. shocked.gif Hopefully.

The main lake was still ice covered as of yesterday

(Sunday 4/15). Some open water along shore, ice was white not dark. It'll be a few days yet, maybe out by next weekend?

shouldn't be much longer i would hope. drove by mud (quamba) yesterday and she looked open from what i could see. may have been a little floating around out there but not much.

I was up this weekend. The river is open south of the Cty #19 access, and the open approx 30 yards east of the fishing pier. Up on Jenneke, still locked in tight though. Hopefully this week will take its toll as the dock and lift are set to go in next weekend, hope we don't have to go to plan B. Bill

TommyK. Ya that was me. I walked out to talk to you. I think you had told me you had gotten stuck and you pulled your house all the way down the lake. Hope you found some fish, I noticed you were in the area for quaite awhile. Good luck and hang on. Bill

I got my work out that day for sure both from digging out my truck and walking. I never got into any bigger gills, but picked off quite a few crappies along the drop. Most were less than 9". I am sure I will be up there a time or two this spring.

Sounds good Tommy. Well maybe not, I know you were starting to break a sweat when I talked to you. And people say ice fishing is only fun, I think maybe theres a little work involved. confused.gif Hopefully the ice will be gone by next weekend. If you are in that area look for the dock with the green Floe Boat lift, Blk/Silver Aluma Craft. We're there every weekend and always have a cold one handy. Bill

anybody know if the fishing peir is all open water? was planning coming up around noon friday. or is a zoo already

the pier's been open for awhile now. can't say anything as to crowds or fish though. there have been a few up there.

thanks hip hop. i'll post how i do.

I went by the pier yesterday afternoon and it looked like most of Minneapolis, and part of St. Paul was there fishing. Must not be any lakes down there?

The U of M climate site today shows the ice went out Weds. 4-18 on Knife Lake. Good News smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

DID WELL TODAY AND NOT TOO MANY PEOPLE DOWN BY THE BRIDGE ABOUT 15. ORANGE JIG TIP WITH MINNOW WAS THE TICKET. ALSO ANN RIVER STOP BY THE BRIDGE FISHED 1 HOUR CAUGHT ALOT OF SUNFISH. WAS A GREAT DAY OF FISHING.

Hit Knife yesterday. The South access was a ZOO. There had to be at least 100 people fishing from shore, not to mention the boats. Access was full. We caught a few sunnies and crappies. Right up against the bank was best. The rain chased most anglers away. Even with the rain, a great day on the water!!

Fished a couple spots today and got 10 nice sunnies and 5 11 in. crappies. LOTS of small crappies this year.

Was there yesterday and caught dozens from 5-7 inches with orange and chartruse mighty mite at about 3-3.5 feet. Caught 5 10-11 inch crappies at 3.5-4 feet with hot pink red jighead tipped with large crappie minnow. 30 people fishing at any given time. I left around 6pm...about 50 people including those on boats. Crazy!