• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What boat should I buy?

I posted this in the boat section and did not get many hits. So I thought I would try here too.

Well I just thought I would get some opinions from you guys on which boat I should get. Here are a few things I do, and have thought of.

Currently I have a Crestliner ( SportFish 1800) It has a 130, 2 stroke Evenrude on it. I have been happy with this boat except the floor is garbage. It has rotted out and the dealer told me that I had to pay for it's replacement because it got wet. Duh ... It's a boat!! So I will not be buying a boat from them ever again. So the boat I have is fine but I now have the funds to get a new boat so I thought I would upgrade.

Currently I am in a small fishing league. We fish every other Wednesday. We fish Waconia, Tonka, Prior, Ect... Lakes in the Metro area. I am out on the water about once a week. I take at lest two tips to Lake Of the Woods every year. Usually it is just my wife and I , although we had a beautiful baby girl last year, so I am sure there will be three of us now. So that is what I will be using it for.

When I was at the sports show I checked out the Alumacraft Navigator. I seemed to like this one the best. It seemed to have plenty of fishing room and a good amount of storage.

I am guessing I would like to spend 20 to 25 grand.

So what do you all think? Anyone have a favorite boat out there? Any pros and cons of Alumacraft?

Thanks a ton!!!

I am a huge fan of Ranger. I have a Lund 1950 tyee and that is a pretty good but it blows around a bit (like a bobber). If I was to get a Lund again I would get a Pro-V. Lund is also coming out with a Fiberglass boat, may be interesting. My cousin likes his Warrior as well. I think you look at what you can get for the money and put a good engine on the back. I am sure that didn't help at all, but that is my two cents. I am not an Alumacraft guy, but that really is for no specific reason.

If I were to buy a new boat I would get a ranger mirage 18 footer. I would get the biggest yamaha 4 stroke you can get and a T8 tiller kicker. It just seems to be a good all around boat. Good luck, Kid

I currently have a crestliner 202 tournament and I dig it alot. The only thing is they cost about 12 thousand more than when I bought mine 3 years ago. The only thing is I got the remote T8 and would not do that again. I would get the tiller kicker.

I like my tiller ProV. With a kid, you may want somthing deeper. If you're looking glass... look at the yarcraft. Don't know if it would fit the budget though.... Go with max rating for HP and enough thrust/hp on the troller/kicker. You will not regret it. Go 24 or 36 volt

if you go troller. Good luck... kinda like a kid in a candy store if you as me!!!!!sal

Bought a navigator 175cs last year, 115 yamaha 4. Love it, I really dont think you can do much better for the money, I am pleased with my choice.

Everyone is going to tell you to buy a ranger, and they're great, but they dont grow on trees.

You dont have to spend 20-25k if your going the Navigator route, and you can use the extra loot to buy all of the other crap we dont really need.

I just picked up a Tournament Sport 185CS (Alumacraft) with a 150 4 stroke Yamy, and the T8 Kicker. I couldn't wait to get it in the water, so i took it out last friday...25 degrees.

I had a 17' Tournament pro back in 2001 and sold it for other ventures, but I tell ya, this one is about 200% better with better storage design, how the boat handles and that Four stroke moter....Holy Crap! those 4 strokes got some power.

Just sayin' that Alumacraft is a good choice.

My $.02

I'll go off the beaten path (and hopefully not jinx my old boat into turning into a piece of crapp.ie). Check out Smoker Craft. They are out of Indiana so you don't see alot of them up here but they have a nice offering of aluminum and fiberglass options. I believe the floors and hulls come with a limited lifetime warranty. Mine is a 96 and has the usual wear and tear but handles bigger water better than other boats its same size and is still bone dry in the bilge unless I leave it out in the rain uncovered. From the looks of their website they are promoting Merc outboards but perhaps you can get other brands. The only reason I wouldn't get another one is that they don't seem to make tillers anymore - Doesn't sound like that's an issue for your needs, Good luck....enjoy the shopping - and a wife who lets you!! ;-)

Reef Runner I think you will be very happy with the Alumacraft. I have had one going on five years now and the big reason I went with them was the rotting floor that the Lund's and Crestliner are known for (oh and they are cheaper). The guy I bought mine from treated me real well as well as two buddies (the one bought from him twice!). Shoot me an email if you would like. japerjp at hotmail.

Thank You all for all the GREAT info!! I plan on going to the dealerships this weekend. I still am leaning tward an Alumacraft but you never know. I like the price and as stated I would love to deck this boat out with the lastest electonics. I love all your I deas keep them comming!!

Thanks!!

I own a 2025 pro v and i love it. its got plenty of room and the plus the wide sides all the way around allow to walk on the edge of the boat with ease. The boat rides great i got a 175 evinrude ficht on it, a little under powered but i love the motor too much to get rid of it.

I would by a Lund and its made in minnesota. God luck hope you find something that works out for you.

the concreteman

Reef Runner...

I went with a Navigator 165 tiller last spring, no regrets. A Lund was my preferred choice, but with the difference in price between the two brands on somewhat comparable boats, I was able to deck out the Alumacraft with the candy I wanted. No problems so far, knock on wood.

Starcraft. Good quality for the money. With the savings, you can spend a bit more on the electronics and trolling motor and everything else....