Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
switchback

chesterwoods help please!

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am really bad at fishing but I have a canoe and will be in Rochester for a few weeks before I move east to start a new job. I would very much like to try my hand at fishing before I leave.

I have a bunch of equipment of my grandfathers, all I need is a little advise on how to catch a few fish. I was thinking that chester woods would be a fun place to paddle around.

I know the basics but would appreciate ANY tips anyone could give me about fishing at C.W.

thanks in advance.

there is a lot of sunkin wood and stumps out there, if we get some nicer weather and the water temps rise a bit i'd try throwing small plastics or a small minnow under a slipbobber in the riprap, if the water temps are still in the 30's i'd go deeper with the same setup, you should find some crappies or gills, good luck, theres some nice ones in there

i would say if you want to catch fish of all kinds and sizes this spring i will minimize any confusion and iwill say an 1/8th-1/4 ounce jig head with a powergrub on behind it. Buy a few cause you will sacrifice some to the wood undertaker. you can cast them out and real them in or put them under a float and move them slowly. tip it with a wax if you want. i have caught everything but a catfish in chester on this lure. good luck and let us know how it goes.

O and i see it is your first post. Congrats on finding this great place to be on the internet. If you can't be fishing you might as well be here learning about it.

ike