Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishgetter

Alma Float

21 posts in this topic

I am heading back over this weekend to the float with a buddy. Any reports on how they are biting? I will make sure I post our luck again as well. They have to start picking up again you would think. Where is the warm weather man o man. If you like to join use you are more than welcomed. We will be out from 6a.m. to 6p.m. If you have never done this you are missing a good time. smile.gif

Very slow this am. I picked up a couple nice fish and saw a few others caught all early this am. After approx 9 it went dead. I talked to a few guys that fished all night and caught only three for thier efforts. Still very slow. If we could get a few more days like today, then it should really pick up. On the way home I stopped at two other bait shops in Red Wing and they told me its been the same there.

Did you fish the float or out of a boat? I have been fishing the float catching the heck out of them and I have been a boat catching nothing while on the float they hammer them. What did you catch the few you caught on. Hair jigs seem to work the best for me. With out a minnow. Well if you hit it later this week please let me know how you are doing I may change my mind and go trout fishing instead. I always have a back up plan.

I fished the float, caught them on hair jigs only and I probably will hit it one more time this week if time allows. I will report back if I go.

About how many jigs can a guy expect to go through at the float. Is it all cast and retrieve? Doesn't everyone get tangled up?

If you watch how you cast and be a little careful you should not have much of a problem. I lost one jig yesterday and that was bit off. I did see some with a few snags in the same spot. If you loose 1 or 2 move to a different spot or dont let it drift with the current quite so far.

Its pretty easy. Most everyone casts and retrieves. You could jig along side the float but you will probably do better casting what what I have seen and been told. Its a nice set up and they also have pretty darn good food on the float. smile.gif

I've never fished the float and am thinking of going down there next weekend. What is my best option? I have a Skeeter Tiller and would rather fish out of that then a crowded float, but I want to catch some fosh too!

Michael

I have fished in a boat up towards the dam and also all around that area. I have also fished on the float and had a good time. Depending on the weather and the bite, that will tell you what kind of a crowd there will be. I fished it the other day with approx 35 people and it was no problem at all. I would expect many more on a nice weekend.

If you fish from the boat you have many options of where and what type of structure to fish. The float is also a very good place to fish. If the fish are biting then either will work. If its slow and you have your boat then you may have a few more options.

I will say the float is easy to fish, has bathrooms and very good homecooked meals and hot coffee. They will even clean your fish and have the bait if needed on hand. Hair jigs have been the ticket.

i'v done very well fishing from the float using lindy fuzzygrubs tiped with shiners

Quote:

#1032095 - 04/02/07 04:51 AM

Does this float fish south of the dam? I have fished there and never seen it out.

--------------------

FishingMN Sponsors

2006 FM NASCAR Fantasy Leaque Champion

Not sure what you are looking for.Is there a question you would like answered or something I may help you with?

If you are questioning my statement in regards to I have never been on the float before that was correct until the other day. I have fished very early in the boat in the spring always on the Wisc side and had not noticed it over ther on the Minnesota side as it may have not been out yet. Yesterday I choose to try it out for the first time.

I hope this answers your post.

Harvey....Can you fill me in on this float?

Where dose it depart from?

What time dose it go?

What is the cost?

Thanks a lot, I've got to try this.

From the Quick Trip go south until you see City Drug which is the drug store on the river side of the road. Right behind city drug there is a street with a cyclone fence along the edge of the river. You can park by the fence and there is a hole or slot in the fence which you can cross and some steps that go right down to the river by a small dock with seats.

They start to pick up fisherman at 6am and they go until 6pm. When you get to the dock there is a green board and you can raise that which tells Tim and Jim that there are people to go fishing and in a few minutes you will see a boat like a big pontoon come from across the river to pick you up.

The cost is $15 per person. You dont need to bring bait or a net. Bring your rod,jigs, pail to put fish in or a stringer and warm clothes. On the barge you will see they have bathrooms on one end and a small cafe on the other. The cafe opens at 7am I believe and the food is darn good. If you have any questions when you are there you can ask Tim or Jim and they will gladly help you out.

If you have any more questions, please ask away and I hope this helps and good luck.

I fish the Float alot and I love it as you can tell. Don't get me wrong I like my boat to but this time of year I stick with the float. It is fun even when the fish are not biting. We goof around alot out there with Tim and Jim. I will be out this weekend (Sat.) 6 to 6 rain or shine wind or snow. I am going. Want in? come on down. Find me on the float over in front of the diner or in the calm water. See you there. cool.gif

I wish to bring my father (he is elderly). Are there chairs for him to sit and relax...or does everyone just lean over the edge? I really want to try this sometime. Can you request for them to bring you back at any time?

Thanks!

There are benches and stools at many different locations on the float. You also have the option of going into the cafe if the temps are cooler or it rains for a little period. The bathrooms are also there. Yes, if you tell them when you would like to go back you may have to wait for 15 minutes or so as they try to time the trips to pick up and return customers. I believe it would be very easy and enjoyable for both you and your father.

My first time on the float was this week and I will be returning again.

HARVEY...Thanks a lot.Great directions, I'm hoping to get there this weekend. (weather permitting)

Good luck. You will have a good time on the float and I hope the fish treat you well. smile.gif

Harvey would you like to join use on Sat.? I think it maybe a little hard fishing but fun non-the-less. Sounds like next week is going to be warm week one may need to call in sick to work! smile.gif Harvey has the water come up a lot over the last 2 weeks down there? Not sure if you guys like to Cat fish but man you can't get much better than the float on a hot day with chicken liver or stink bait. Around the end of May top of June.

If I go out fishing this Saturday it will be at the Walleye Warmup in Red Wing. I thank you for the offer and would really be interested in the cat fishing in a month or so. I have only been there once in the last week so I really cannot comment on how high the water level is.

Let me know when you are going for the catfish and I will probably run done and do a little fishing with you.

Hey not a problem. The cat fishing is great I will let you know. As for everyone else sounds like low 50's on Sat. maybe we will luck out and fishing will pick up who knows. I will post Sat. night again when we get back. Oh by the way Matt 41 pounds is the record for a Big Mouth Buffalo Head A small mouth 22.