Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Fishing Report Clubs - LIMITED MEMBERSHIP - Join Today - FREE   01/24/2018

Fishing Minnesota had added a new menu item (see above) called Fishing Report Clubs. It's a way to keep the really good fishing reports coming and being shared only with those who also provide detailed fishing reports. We will only approve new members who request to join if they have already posted a recent fishing report in the area forum, associated with the Fishing Report Club area  you want to join. We are going to limit the number of regular memberships, in the Fishing Report Clubs, to the top 20  members in each Club, to those with the best frequency and quality fishing reports provided in the club and less so in the regular fishing report forum open to all members. The higher quality fishing report reserved for the club of course. If  you want fishing reports  around your area, I would Join Now, some of the clubs are starting to fill fast. Use the Fishing Reports Club link in the Menu above (after you've posted a fishing report in the regular area forum) and request to Join.
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Fisherman For a Lifetime

"Equalizing" Deep Cycle Batteries ??

Question

Fisherman For a Lifetime

Howdy,

I have a Minn-kota on board charger with 2 deep cycle batteries for a 24 volt system.

I was paging through the manual and it said to "Equalize" the batteries every 50-60 clcles ot 2 months. It says this will extend the life of the batteries...

It says to hold down a button for 10 seconds, it will flash and send 17 volts. It then says it my take an additional 6 hours of charging time.

Question is, how long do I keep it in that mode ?? confused.gif

Do I just leave it in that mode and it'll end it by itself ?? confused.gif

Has anyone "Equalized" their batteries ??

Thanks...

11 answers to this question

Northlander

Never done anything like this and never had a battery related problem. Just charge your batteries regularly and you should be fine.

Black_Bay

Go to the Trojan battery site and click on tech support. They have a lot of good info on battery maintenance, including equalizing batteries.

Whoaru99

I may have that same charger.

I have done it a few times and it's automatic AFAIK. If you follow the instructions, it will take care of it all on it's own. My batteries are working fine and I believe this will be year 5 or 6 on them.

Basically, "equalizing" the batteries is a technical term for applying a fairly high voltage in an attempt to dislodge or reverse any sulfation of the plates.

I would recommend disconnecting everything else from the batteries except the charger (or ensure power to accessories is completely turned off).

You may also want to check the water level before and after, and also be sure they are well ventilated. They really gas quite a bit during equalization.

I believe this is only relevant to flooded-cell lead acid batteries. I think it would not be a good plan for gel-type batteries or maybe even AGM - but not positive about that last one.

Fisherman For a Lifetime

What is "AFAIK"??

Yes, only for flooded, lead-acid batteries.

Mine is going on the 5th year...

The manual said they do out-gas & boil - that is normal.

So, I just initiate the equalization and let 'er go...??

Thanks 99 & anyone else that can chime in on this..... smile.gif

Fisherman For a Lifetime

Just found this........

"Flooded battery life can be extended if an equalizing charge is applied every 10 to 40 days. This is a charge that is about 10% higher than normal full charge voltage, and is applied for about 2 to 16 hours. This makes sure that all the cells are equally charged, and the gas bubbles mix the electrolyte. If the liquid in standard wet cells is not mixed, the electrolyte becomes "stratified". You can have very strong solution at the top, and very weak at the bottom of the cell. With stratification, you can test a battery with a hydrometer and get readings that are quite a ways off. If you cannot equalize for some reason, you should let the battery sit for at least 24 hours and then use the hydrometer. AGM and gelled should be equalized 2-4 times a year at most - check the manufacturers recommendations, especially on gelled."

HaywardBound

Quote:

What is "AFAIK"??

I think it is an insurance company...the one with the duck?

Or...As Far As I Know.

wink.gif

Whoaru99

Heheheh.... AFLAC

Yeah, AFAIK - "As Far As I Know" - internet slang stuff, you know.

Fisherman For a Lifetime

So, the moral of this thread is: Get out there & Equalize your Batteries !!! wink.gif

fisherdog19

How could you equalize your batteries if you don't have a charger that does this. I have a 3 bank dual pro, does anyone know if this one equalizes batteries?

Giant_Jackpot

There is a product called Power Pulse that will do the job for you. Manufactured by Pulse Tech. Google “Power Pulse” you will find places that sell them online. The unit connects directly to the battery, is self powered and you leave it connected permanently. I recently purchased a 24 volt model for $60. Companies that run fleets of battery operated equipment like pallet jacks and lift trucks use these as well as golf courses. I have not had them long enough to know if the claims are true but they say you can double the life of your battery. If I can get 6 – 8 years out of a set of Trojans, then the money is well spent.

Fisherman For a Lifetime

A good suggestion for all, equalize your Lead/Acid Batteries.