Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vister

OOOPS!!!!

3 posts in this topic

Two weekends ago a few buddies of mine took one of their new/used boats up to rainy river lookin for eyes. I'm not sure where they launched, but they had to go out on the ice to get to water. Upon backing out, the trailer broke through the ice. By the way, 18' Mr. Pike with 150 merc. They managed to get the trailer out after reefing some of the steel into shapes it wasn't supposed to be in. They also ended up getting the boat in the water in a different location. Finally, they got to fishing. Wasn't so productive, so they moved, and not being familiar with the river, first timers, decided to move. Well, new boat, lets see how she goes! OOOPS!!!!, rocks. Smashed the crap out of the keel, ripped the prop off, and broke the skag off of the lower unit. mad.gif Luckily, he insured it the day before. Unfortunately, they never had a bite.

So, has anyone else come across rocks that ruined the weekend!! ooo.gifmad.gif I guess we have nicked a few ourselves on the lake, but just scared the crap out of us until we realized it was a close call. whew! shocked.gif

HI VISTER,

RAINY RIVER IS EXTREMELY LOW, MOST LOCALS ARE USING 12 TO 16 FOOT BOATS & 4 TO 25 HORSE POWER MOTORS. WE HAVE SAW NUMEROUS 18 TO 21 FOOT BOATS RUNNING DOWN THE RIVER, SOME SLOW, OTHERS RUNNING ON PLANE. THERE ARE NUMEROUS ROCKS EXPOSED THAT MANY OF US HAVEN'T EVER SAW. ONE THING FORSURE THE FISH ARE GOING TO FIND SOME NEW STRUCTURE THIS YEAR.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

No rocks this time, But....as I was getting ready to go fishing Saturday morning ( in spite of the cold ) I recieved a call from my buddy on the river that my boat...14' alumicraft... had been taken during the night ( we left it on the river shore below his house). Officer Lessard of the Falls PD along with the OPP found my boat adrift on the Canandian side...apparently used as a late night boarder taxi. Thanks to th OPP and Officer Lessard of the Falls PD I got my boat back undamaged..Thanks Guys you probably don't hear it enough..As far as rocks go I live year round on a island on the lake and have been guiding for 12 years.... I always say I don't know where the rocks are but I know where they aren't... As clever as that stupid saying is, every year I hit a rock.. Hitting rocks especially in low water years is part of the deal up here... don't feel too bad we all do it...you probably won't hit the same one twice.....