Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassAkwards

floor building suggestions

7 posts in this topic

Just bought a 16 ft lund and am curious how to get started building a floor. I've read the threads on the type of wood but don't know how to get started. Any suggestions from past experience would be awesome...this is my first boat, not a ranger, but i would like to be able to stand easy and cast. anyone have any old plans? Any help would be great.

Thanks

I used cardboard to make templates for the ribs that your decking will be screwed to in the bow area. It is just a matter of trial and error to get the right shape.

You can also screw 2" X 2" to the bench seat supports between the center seats to hold up your decking.

Cliff

I agree with using cardboard templates to get the shape right. Also be sure to use sheet aluminum under the floor where your seats will be. The screws will not hold in just wood. As far as ribs across the boat that you would screw the floor down to, some people use wood, but I have always fabricated them out of aluminum and riveted them to something. Those last as long as you would own the boat. Wood might not. Its a little costlier for the aluminum material, but you can work it with the same tools you would use for wood. It's your choice.

The cardboard way works perfectly. For the Template, I used three large pieces of card board. I made a radius for both sides then taped and stapled the card board together so it wouldn't move.

Using a circular saw you will be cutting a compound radius. Cut slightly bigger to start with and trim as needed for a good (not tight) fit. If you will be carpeting the floor be sure to cut your wood with room to allow the carpet.

I used aluminum in one boat and wood in another, both worked fine.

Good Luck!

Wood expands and contracts with temperatures-- does an aluminum boat expand the same amount, or is there enough flex in the boat to allow for it? Do the holes for the screws that hold the floor down need to be slotted to allow for expansion?

Really, I doubt if either materials expansion rate due to temperatture matters little if any. However wood does move a lot due to moisture changes. It will rot if left wet too long, too often. Many people assume if its marine grade or exterior plywood that it can't rot. Thats quite wrong. The glue wont rot being exterior grade, but the wood sure does. I have replaced many factory installed wood floors. One more point... I've never seen any factory built aluminum boats with wood under the floors. So draw your own conclusions.

If a guy can afford it do yourself a favor and have the spars/ribs for your floor made out of aluminum.Wood will work though not the best choice.c63