Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
BassAkwards

floor building suggestions

BassAkwards    0
BassAkwards

Just bought a 16 ft lund and am curious how to get started building a floor. I've read the threads on the type of wood but don't know how to get started. Any suggestions from past experience would be awesome...this is my first boat, not a ranger, but i would like to be able to stand easy and cast. anyone have any old plans? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Cliff Wagenbach    822
Cliff Wagenbach

I used cardboard to make templates for the ribs that your decking will be screwed to in the bow area. It is just a matter of trial and error to get the right shape.

You can also screw 2" X 2" to the bench seat supports between the center seats to hold up your decking.

Cliff

iffy    0
iffy

I agree with using cardboard templates to get the shape right. Also be sure to use sheet aluminum under the floor where your seats will be. The screws will not hold in just wood. As far as ribs across the boat that you would screw the floor down to, some people use wood, but I have always fabricated them out of aluminum and riveted them to something. Those last as long as you would own the boat. Wood might not. Its a little costlier for the aluminum material, but you can work it with the same tools you would use for wood. It's your choice.

Wildlineman    0
Wildlineman

The cardboard way works perfectly. For the Template, I used three large pieces of card board. I made a radius for both sides then taped and stapled the card board together so it wouldn't move.

Using a circular saw you will be cutting a compound radius. Cut slightly bigger to start with and trim as needed for a good (not tight) fit. If you will be carpeting the floor be sure to cut your wood with room to allow the carpet.

I used aluminum in one boat and wood in another, both worked fine.

Good Luck!

cylinder    0
cylinder

Wood expands and contracts with temperatures-- does an aluminum boat expand the same amount, or is there enough flex in the boat to allow for it? Do the holes for the screws that hold the floor down need to be slotted to allow for expansion?

iffy    0
iffy

Really, I doubt if either materials expansion rate due to temperatture matters little if any. However wood does move a lot due to moisture changes. It will rot if left wet too long, too often. Many people assume if its marine grade or exterior plywood that it can't rot. Thats quite wrong. The glue wont rot being exterior grade, but the wood sure does. I have replaced many factory installed wood floors. One more point... I've never seen any factory built aluminum boats with wood under the floors. So draw your own conclusions.

chris63    7
chris63

If a guy can afford it do yourself a favor and have the spars/ribs for your floor made out of aluminum.Wood will work though not the best choice.c63