• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone have any comments about this resort or the lake?

My folks, who are retired, are considering making an offer on a house there. It's a nice house, single story, big garage, good construction, on the golf course, part of the association, etc. We know they get a lot of convention business in the summer. My folks don't fish much unless they go with me, I read a little on the lake - deep, clear, primarily walleye and pike, tough daytime bite.

Overall, it looks like a really nice setup for them. All comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Rutgers is a nice place you were right on about the fishing but the lake and the golf coarse are beautiful

Jason

sugar lake is great for big walleyes. we did good in the summer right before dark trolling with crawlers. my biggest was a 31 1/2 incher. it is sort of hard to fish but once you get the hang of it, its fun. Also because of its clarity snorkling is great. good luck!

My parents live less then a 1/2 from sugar lake. Summer fishing for walleyes can be tough but it is possible. Ice fishing also has been decent on the lake in the past few years. Great lake for swimming. negative is the landing can be alittle diffucult for large boats(shallow).

The time to fish Sugar is at night. It can be trolled all summer and fall a lot like you do on Mille Lacs in the early spring or late fall (i.e. Husky Jerks, Rattlin' Rogues, etc).

I fish with blueberry yum all the time and he has never caught a 31 1/2 inch walleye. I think his biggest is like 25 inches out of the pississippi.

Mitch, you need to quit pretending. Save your fish stories for the bar.

HAHAHAHA

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replies.

My folks bought the place and will be moving in around the end of June.

I'll probably start fishing the lake this summer or fall. Probably trolling for walleyes, or chasing panfish with my young kids. Any specific tips or advice would be appreciated.

Also, the lake map shows a small lake or bay on the SW side of Sugar - is that part of Sugar or a seperate lake - and can you get a boat through there?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We live not too far from Sugar...just fished there the other night and caught a 20 incher and a 16 (waldos) also had one that broke my line!

As others have said, it can be a tricky lake to fish and the action isn't always "hot and heavy" but when you do get one on, it's usually a keeper. Come to think of it, I don't think we've caught anything under 15" there. And yes, it's definitely a night bite lake...we were still getting bites until almost midnight the other night. A good place to go is the sunken island pretty much straight out from the launch and a little to the left (there's a marker.) Because of the clear water, you'll usually have to go a little deeper for the fish than you would on a more stained lake (we were fishing in about 15' of water a couple days ago.)

While we've primarily fished for walleyes there, I "accidentally" caught a sunfish when we were waiting for the launch to clear one night...was just sort of dangling my rod in about 2 feet of water (still had my minnow on) and caught a nice sunny at 11:00 at night!

The lake itself is one of the most beautiful in the state, IMHO. It's got this aquamarine type color that looks almost tropical. Very clear water, mostly white sand bottom, great swimming/recreation lake. If you look at a satellite picture on google earth (or similar website/program) the color just stands out from all the other lakes.

One thing to be aware of is the launch is kind of steep and shallow. Could be challenging launching a bigger boat there (we do fine with our 16' Lund.)

Oh, that other body of water you were asking about is South Sugar. There's a small carry down access on the other side of the lake across from the main launch where you can get to either Sugar or South Sugar. I think you could probably get through there with a smaller boat (definitely OK for a canoe) but we've never tried it.

A little further down the road (if you take a left out of the main access) is another small lake, Little Sugar. There is a public access, but the road back there is pretty rough. I don't think there's any way to get between the two lakes by water.

Hope that helps! I think your folks will like it there (especially if they're golfers)...very pretty and peacful yet not too far from town.

Thanks for the replys guys. I'll email you about the fishing later this summer when I get up there to give it a try. My folks are moving at the end of June and the 4th of July is probably the first we'll be there. Probably be doing more swimming and tubing with the kids than fishing now anyway.

I hope the access will be okay for me, I have a glass boat on a bunk trailer and need some water depth to get it on and off the trailer.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey PerchJerker and anyone else who fishes Sugar Lake. Walleye do bite on Sugar lake during the day, just try a muskie crankbait speed trolled. Hooked this fish at noon while looking for Large Pike. It was a pleasant surprise to see the fish on my muskie rod after thinking had snagged something on the bottom. Loosened the hook, took a quick photo by myself and set her back to the depths to fight again.

P6300126.jpg

A solid 29.5" marble eye

That's a beaut Troy!! Nice fish.

I had my boat on Sugar over the 4th but didn't fish, just did some tubing and swimming with the kids. I am not a fan of the access, I'll tell you that. Didn't have any problems but it is not a good setup.

I was talking to one of the area guides and he commented that some logging in the area has increased the run-off into Sugar and has clouded up the water a bit, still very clear but according to him the day bite has been better the last couple of years because of this. I have no idea if it's true or not, but that's what he said.

Thanks PerchJerker,

The landing is definetly not the best, but personally I love it. Reason why is the lake takes less pressure because of this. My tin can boat and roller trailer have no problems with it. Bring waders, espically on windy late night trips. If your boat wont float, keep it on WINNIE!

The word got out about the walleyes biting and the lake took heavier than normal pressure as it was. Something dies in a man when he goes out just after opener and there is only 2 other trucks at the landing one whic is your friends. Two weeks later, there must have been 30 trucks on a weekend night. Hopefully a slot is placed on this lake. Many of the people met coming off the lake had many 18,19,20,even 21, 22 inch fish in the box for dinner. Everyone just had to take them all.

The changing water is probaly a variety of different things in my own opinion. Logging may have a tiny part of the problem but mostly lush green yards around most the lake and warm summers. These together make for great weed and alage blooming, which turns the water milking. We may also be watching the water more now then before and maybe the lake has been having blooms since the beginning of time.