• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Open Water on Big Sandy/Minnewawa?

Any signs of open water on these bodies of water? Was hoping to try my luck next weekend, but the cold snap has me doubting. I'm dreaming as I get ready to host the in-laws for Easter! tongue.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Let us know if the ice goes out this week on Big Sandy. Want to get up there to put the dock in this weekend. I ve got high hopes.

I went up to Big Sandy to open up the cabin. There is NO way the dock is going in. We're at the very end of Bridge Raod across from the sand bar. I think it's going to be a while before you put the dock in. Ice has receeded maybe a couple feet from shore. Neighbor said there's 17" of ice in the middle of the lake.

Talked to my neighbor last night and he said yesterday the ice turned really dark and that it was raining! If we get more rain and warm temps, it could wipe the ice out fast. I will say the ice out will be by the 26th!

[Note from admin: Edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

My father-in-law lives on Big Sandy. I just got an e-mail from him . The ice went out on 4/20 , dock and boat lift went in on 4/21.

thats good news. heading that way for opener and can't wait! anyone chasing crappies up there right now??

I have a buddy on Minnewawa that is in crappies and gills.

I've been doing some damage a few miles from there.

Where to start.My head is still spinning.

OK I got it,bagged work at 3 bells .My son and Dad & I hit my hole for what I thought would be good ,but so so.

crappies004.jpg

I was soooooo wrong! :lol:

We caught 100's of fish.

crappies034-1.jpg

The bass were coming..Do I love those fighters,my son does too!

crappies021.jpg

crappies007.jpg

crappies005.jpg

The water was 50 on the nuts and we were work 2-4 feet of water.

You can tell that the water is warming,look at how black the males are getting.

crappies011.jpg

T.H.E. jig was working really well.

Too well ,I caught another bass after I do not know how many I reared on & snapped off.I know I should have retied ,but I had more.

Well anyway I switched to loby's Drag-n Mags & never skipped a beat.

crappies017.jpg

They inhaled that plastic like no tommorow.Like it was there last meal.

I strapped on the Drag-n Mag onto a 32nd oz jig that was white with orange eyes and a collar.

crappies012.jpg

I know the 1st one caught 30 fish and was in the mood for more ,but like earlier I had more & a pike snipped it off.

Well I retied in about 45 seconds and went back to drilling them again.

To be honest I'm glad I sent them home with the 20 we kept &as my arms hurt & this post is draing what I have left.Sure is nice to not have to clean fish.

had to leave a few for seed anyway.

crappies030.jpg

I had Sunday open yet & I asked if those two giggling girls wanted some more abuse.I think you know the answer to that.

I also got a firm handshake and a wink from pops,so cool.

As we drove back across the lake I looked back to say goodnight , this is what she said back.

crappies036.jpg

See ya soon!