• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What do YOU think of AJ Pierzynski?

HossFisher

"I guess everyone is to young to remember a Yogi"

You got me there. I believe Yogi won three league MVPs. If so, that's gotta be more than any other catcher.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Windy City Walleye Hunter

• Spinner1

• PierBridge

• Juneau4

Not a big fan of AJ, carries himself as if he is one of the best in the league, when he is an average hack at best.

smile.gifHe also has world series rings to cover all his fingers and both thumbs plus a toe or two and I think he had 100+ rbi's for 4 years in a row. Not bad for a short fat guy who couldn't run laugh.gifOh he also had to catch in order to bat.

"He also has world series rings to cover all his fingers and both thumbs plus a toe or two and I think he had 100+ rbi's for 4 years in a row"

That's all big market media hype. It never actually happened. You probably believe in Babe Ruth and the Easter Bunny too.

laugh.gif

I used to like him when he was a Twin, he gave good at-bats and handled the staff well.

I respect all players who respect the game. But now AJ has turned into a flat out cheater and that really bugs me. On more than one occasion he has "gotten away" with blatent lying, cheating, and deception.

Oh no not the bunny! NOT THE BUNNY! You're from Iowa and my brother who lives in Milford say's beleive everything from an I0WAN only 1% are wrong. NOT THE BUNNY' the Babe I could live with laugh.giftongue.gifshocked.gif I can only hope your that 1% confused.gifTake care and keep the humor! laugh.gif

Quote:

Zamboni must be too young to have seen Bench (or Fisk or Jody Davis for that matter or even Tony Pena or Manny Sanguillen or.....Randy Hundley or even Todd Hundley). Potential is there for Mauer but fate is fickle too.

These guys didn't put up near the numbers Mauer has and will as his career progresses. Hitting isn't the only category I look at- he calls great games behind the plate, and I don't think any catcher in a long time, if ever, can consistently throw out attempted base stealers by 2 feet like he does. His knees worry me, that's his only downside, but DH'ing him once or twice a week is sure to remedy this. So yes, I do remember everyone on your list, and NO, I don't think any are as good as Joe.

PS- my brothers first wife has a cousin named Jake Gibbs, who caught for nearly 10 years for the Yankees. Never heard of him? Well, he was the everyday catcher between Yogi Berra and Thurmon Munson, so I guess it would be easy to get lost in the shuffle. Jake was an All-American QB at Ole Miss and led Ole Miss to an undefeated season, is in the College Football HOF, and was drafted in 3 pro sports leagues- the NFL, the AFL, and MLB. I know my catchers, and Joe is a stud.

AJ is an (Contact Us Please)...his own teammates even think so and that says it all!!

Zamboni,

I am not trying to argue or start anything because I agree Mauer has the potential. And I know most of my "list" was not HOFame material, but until Mauer has several good years in a row, my opinion is that he doesn't deserve to be in the same discussion as Bench or Fisk.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention another pretty good catcher that is still playing - Ivan Rodriquez (sp?).

• 1 month later...

What an absolute piss of C H I T.

AJ Pierzynski is the biggest loser in major league sports.

I hope they hit him right in the ribs with a fastball.

Not once but twice he tried to injure Morneau the second attempt he clipped Morneau's foot at first base.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this the rest of the series and season.

I never liked A.J., even when he was a twin.

Having played 1st base, I almost had my achilles torn out once by some shmuck. He ripped through my pants, sock, and leg with his cleats.

What A.J. tried to do is maybe the worst of all "dirty" plays in baseball. The 1st baseman is so vunerable, you could end his season or career.

I actually like AJ as player of the years becasue he actually cares about winning and losing and lots of other guys just collect their paycheck and head home not really caring. I missed the episode in Mondays game. What exactly happened?? I agree, he can be pain, even from guys on his own team but you can't 2nd guess his heart to win.

Mud

You and I share a similar opinion about AJ's heart. I've defended him before. But trying to stomp a first baseman's foot or ankle? That could put a guy out for the season. I only caught the description on the radio feed, but it sounded blatent. At least for AJ. He usually stays on the edge where he can play it off like he meant no harm when he is stirrin it up. Glad Justin didn't give him the Michael Barrett treatment. A suspension the Twins do not need with Mauer down already.

Sorry Guys,

I saw the replays nine ways to Sunday and they are questionable at best. AJ was clearly stepping on the inner third of the top of the base. He was not off on the side of the base, where Morneau's foot should have been, rather, he was stepping on the top of the base where his foot should not have been. I think Morneau was taking more of the base than he had a right to and AJ was pointing that fact out in his usual fun loving manner. If Justin was worried about his little tootsies then he should have kept his foot off the top of the bag. Nobody whines when a runner barrels the catcher over on a play at the plate, everybody says thats part of baseball even though the runner could have slid around or under a tag, they elect to try to jar the ball loose by bowling over the catcher. Have a little cheese with your "whine" and celebrate your victory over the Sox. Move on, there's no story here.

Windy

I guess after watching the play I dont understand how Morneau was taking more of the base that he should have? confused.gif He only had his heal on the bag, there sure is a lot of base to step on without having to almost step on his foot. One time, Maybe an accident, 2 times and especially AJ, not an accident.

Maybe more was made of this because it was a generally disliked catcher whos bounced around the league who did this to an MVP.

The first replay I saw could have been an accident, but not the second one. AJ hit the far left side of the base with his right foot. It is standard baseball ethics for the runner to aim for the middle to right side of the base in order to prevent injuries to both players.

To me it was no accident, on the second play if he would have run along the same line and stepped with his left foot first he would have put a spike right through the back of Morneau's knee. You can play the game hard and with passion but trying to spike someones ankle is intentionally trying to end his season. I am sure AJ will get a fastball in the ribs very soon. Unless Ozzie sits him down the rest of the series, then one of his beloved teammates will have to take his deserved punishment.

Windy,

We all know that if it was Torri Hunter doing the same exact thing to Konerko, you'd be singing a very different tune right now. A player barreling over the catcher happens on a regular basis, and it's a 100% clean play. A player stepping on the inner 1/3 of first base with his RIGHT FOOT is WAY over the line (especially when it's for the second time in the same game). At the very least AJ needs to catch a fastball in the ribs. Looks like Boof is pitching tonight, so I guess he'll get the honor.

My guess is they'll wait until a reliever goes in. Maybe Depaula will get the call, that way if the Ump's deceide to get testy and eject him they don't lose their starter just some bunk reliever that can't get anyone out anyways.

"One time, Maybe an accident, 2 times and especially AJ, not an accident"

That's exactly it. Even though a rival, most of the Sox roster still gets the benefit of the doubt. A.J. has earned no benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately he has taught everyone to expect the worst from him.

I kinda like what bustin Justin said about the whole thing,"It's over." Justins fine and the Twins won. If AJ gets a little chin music in the next couple games then so be it. He's a baller, he knows how it works.

If you watch the video closely, AJ's left foot hits on the baseline as he makes his last stride to first base. His next landing is with his right foot on on the inside of first base and the back of Morneau's shoe. That would mean he would have had to bring his right leg across his body and have it land 12-18 inches to the left of where his left leg is was and ends up 3 feet inside the baseline when he passes first. That is a major change of direction. That to me means one of two things. He either did it intentionally or he spiked the Gatorade and was pounding that down in the early innings.

When I played, I always gave the first baseman the edges of the base. If he was positioned properly, it was no problem. But, when the first baseman is out of position and 'reaching' back to find the base, and if he missed the edge of the base and ended up on top of the base, he got my cleats (period). Basically, if he makes a good play, no problem...if he flails, gapes-out, or is otherwise out of position for the play, I'ld do whatever I could to get on base. Was the play unsportsmanslike? Yup. Was it within the generally accepted guidelines for play? Yup.

Hollywood Pete,

A runner running over a prone catcher is 100% clean play...since when?? It's dirty but it's accepted in the baseball world, so is this "non story" that you guys are trying to cook up. I agree with what Morneau said, it's over, we won. You guys won the game and nobody got hurt. Build a fence and get over it!!

Windy

Hey Guys,

Let's start a petition to save Justin's foot. We can call it the Justin Law and Major League Baseball can put the double base in all stadiums like they do in girls softball!

Drop it like it's hot!

Windy

How about getting a $100 million Lloyds of London insurance policy for his one foot naming yourself as beneficiary.

It all kind of reminds me of all of you Sux fans whining and crying like little girls when Hunter ran over your catcher. You also didn't seem to think it was "dirty" to run over a catcher when AJ did it to Barrett last year did you? confused.gif You never cease to amaze me with your double standards.

"A runner running over a prone catcher is 100% clean play"

Indeed it is, and if Morneau blocked first base, then I would fully expect AJ to put his shoulder into Morneau's sore nose.

You're right Windy, we should just let this go. So don't be posting anymore excuses for AJ. grin.gif