Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Huey

AutoPilot going crazy?

8 posts in this topic

I have a Minnkota bow mount with an AutoPilot. Last Summer, when it was in the AutoPilot mode the motor would sometimes start spinning to the left or right. I could stop it by tappng the foot pedal. Everything else on the motor works fine.

Any know why an AutoPilot would randomly start to spin? Also is there any way to fix it?

Thanks for any info.

Huey

Could be one of the following:

Low voltage, broken wire in the coil cord, recalibrate the compass, or replace the compass.

Just a shot in the dark, but it might be the control pedal.

Mine does the same thing. When I have Autopilot going straight south it will start to go crazy, any other direction is just fine. This is the second time. It did it when it was about 1 year old and I had it fixed by MinnKota. I believe the compass was bad. It is now around 10 years old and I figure I will just get a new one.

I have one that did that. Had it fixed for nominal charge. I forget what the problem was, I think just a recalibration. The trolling motor fixer guy here in Rochester did a fine job.

Mine only seems to do it when the charge is low. Bought to new AGM Batteries this year. Hope They last longer then the other ones.

A couple things on your end to check for is a low battery and the shaft being plumb. Other then that it could be the compass needing to be calibrated.

Lithium seemed to calm mine down quite a bit! grin.gifc63