Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MIDNIGHT777

motor frozen?

5 posts in this topic

2005 Johnson 140 4 stk

I had my boat in the water about a week ago, or what ever was the last nice day before the cold weather hit. I pulled the boat out of the water not even thinking about the cold weather we are now experiencing. So I did not let it run out of the water for a couple seconds to get the water out of it. I store it in the garage. I know it has not gotten that cold at night, but below freezing. The garage always stays a little warmer but not much.

Should I be worried about any water freezing up internally that would wreck anything?

What do you guys think I should do, or am I over reacting?

I dont plan on using it until it warms up back into the 50's.

Thanks, Matt

The water will drain from the engine. Trim down so the water in the lower unit can run out and your good to go.

Exactly what ST said, there's no need to worry with an outboard, it won't "store" water inside.

Outboards are self draining when tilted down. I/O's are not. Those require draining. One more thing.... never run your motor out of the water. Thats an excellent way to ruin your water pump. That can happen in just a few seconds, especially if its dry.

OK.......Thanks a lot for the info guys laugh.gif

Matt