Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vermilionwally

Early Season Flies

14 posts in this topic

I just bought a fly rod and was wondering what kind of flies are best to use early in the season (April and May)?

All depends on what you are fishing for confused.gif

what river? Visit your local fly shop and ask. You will learn a great deal

i see you are from esko so i assume you'll be fishing rivers such as the midway, otter, and cloquet system. I would start out with an assortment of hares ears, pheasant tails, copper johns, and possibly a few scuds (although i haven't had luck with them this far north. A few drys such as an adams or elk hair caddis patterns wouldn't hurt either. Sizes 12 to 16 should give you a good start for a beginner. This is only the tip of the iceberg, there are numerous patterns that work in the spring, these are just a few assuming you want to catch trout.

dont forget streamers! grin.gif

I am fishing for trout. I got a clouser minnow in size 6 and i bought a 20 pack of assorted flies. Im looking at buying a couple elk hair caddis tommorow.

Come mid summer, "hoppers" can be a lot of fun! I use a bright colored one with a beadhead or similar as a trailer. The hopper acts as a stimulater and also as an indicator. Make sure to check the regs in the area that you are fishing to make sure it is legal to fish a trailer. I was informed of this law by a buddy very recently.

Im not sure what a hopper is confused.gif. Ill have to look into it.

It's a grasshopper pattern. They typically have a foam head and body and float really well with a little Gink on them. It's a fun pattern in the summer.

Ill have to pick a couple of those. I bought a fly at gander today that was labeled as a hopper.

That's what you're looking for.....have fun and let us know how it turns out.

Will that work in april or is that more of a summer pattern?

Hoppers are more of an August-September pattern

I usually start using them in July if you're in an area that allows droppers. That way you can fish 2 flys and see what works best. They're not always going to produce, but every now and then you can get one to come up.