Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LEECH21

Need Guidence Please Fiskyknut

4 posts in this topic

Hey there Leech again,

A little over a week to go before we head up. This is how our situation pans out.

We can't really switch the dates because of work purposes, so we are stuck on the 14th through the 17th. the last two years we stayed in Baudette and fished in Four-Mile Bay for sturgeon. It sounds like it may still be locked up then, so I think its time to start a plan "b". If we do fish the river for sturgeon which area is the best stretch to fish? Where could we stay thats close? Is there a cheap hotel or motel around? I can get cheap discounts if there is a Holiday Inn, Days Inn, or Comfort Inn. We usually bring up a small 10 hp motor and rent a boat from Adrian's Lodge, but we probably won't be able to do that this year. Any suggestions on where we could rent one. We could bring up a small 14' boat if need be.

One other idea I had was to forget the sturgeon all together and try for pike on Lake of the Woods. I've never done this and really don't know where to go. But I've heard that late ice can be fantastic for big gators up there. Do you know much about this or even if they would be biting?

Sorry about all the questions. I just figured you seem like you know your fishing up there and its hard to judge whats going on there from way down here.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hey man kind of a bummer this weather eh. We have kind of warned you about your date choices years past so you were maybe kind of expecting this eh? Sometimes 'plan b' works better than 'plan a' anyhow and you'll get to experience a new and different stretch of river!

I think one of the motels in Baudette is a days inn? Try Clementson and the Royal Dutchman too as it's kinda the off season after the Walleye season closes and they may be able to hook you up with a room as well as a rental boat maybe. They'll give you good advice as to fishing the river too.

Pike bite is in high gear right now on the pond. You may be able to do some of that if you'd like. Hard to say what ice and access will do between now and then eh. This off season in-between time is all dependent on what mother nature throws at us as we have for sure seen this year!!!

You know if you're gonna plan to fish Sturgeon and are set on the bay, next year you may be wise to schedule your dates a tad later. First part of May is just as good if not better for catching Sturgeonfish than mid/late April, and for sure the ice and weather is gonna be more cooperative!

I think you have my E addy, shoot me a mail next week and we'll see how the rivers breakup has progressed. Then depending on where you want/can launch and fish I'll get you a few spots to try. I may just head over that way with a kicker boat and we could maybe meet up and team up on em one day too eh.

Think positive because the Sturgeon fishing upstream can be even better than it is on the bay sometimes! Diehards 117 pounder 2 years ago came from an upstream reach. The fish are'nt all in the bay!

Iffin you're here early enough on the 14th you may wanna try and get a pic of yourself holding a Walrus sized Walleye too maybe!

fiskyknut

Royal Dutchman you have mail.

Fiskynut, I don't think I have your email address. Mine is jjserbus@yahoo.com

The walleye season doesn't close till Sunday? That would be sweet to beat my personal best, of a not so big, 24.5 inch eye. We should be up by, or around, noon on Saturday.

The last few years I think we got lucky. Same time in April, but it was hot...60's and 70's and the bay was wide open. Next year we'll plan on late April, early May!

Right now I'm really up to any type of fishing I guess. Walleye, pike, or sturgeon.

Thanks fellas...this up in the air plans is driving me crazy frown.gif