• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Removing an outboard from the transom?

mnvikingsfreak

Question

I have a 79 glastron with a 100 hp johnson the tilt/trim is not working so I bought a used one from a junkyard how would I go about removing the motor to replace the tilt/trim? the motor is pretty heavy!! and I dont want to break any of the bolts

thank you

9 answers to this question

Don't try lift it by hand, it weights about 350/400 lbs, if you have any kind of lift, tractor, skidsteer, cherry picker, etc. is an easy job, otherwise you will have to get creative, use pulleys, come along, etc.

There are 4 bolts, 2 on top end of transom bracket and 2 at bottom, the last 2 have the nut inside boat, underneath splashwell, have a friend hold a wrench (usually 3/4") while you undo the the nut.

Once the 2 lower nuts are removed, loosen the 2 top ones, take lower bolts off, you might have to lift motor just a little to facilitate sliding bolts off, you can use a small punch to drive them out.

Take 1 nut off top bolts, then lift motor slightly until it's free to move, be careful, it might slide back once you remove the last nut and bolts.

Remove motor swinging it up and left to help steering cable bend a little. Be sure motor is hanging safely with ABSOLUTELY NO POSSIBILITY OF FALLING.

Install the PTT plate using same bolts you had for motor, coat all bolts with silicone, especially the lower since they are underwater, re-install motor on plate using bolts provided with it.

You should be able to do the whole job without removing shift/throttle cables, steering cable and main harness.

ok thanks valv for the detailed info do you think I should rent an engine puller for the job? or would pulleys work just as good I have a 1 car garage with no electricity at my apartment that barely fits the boat I have been quoted from repair shops that are $55.00 an hour that it would take 3 hours to fix I would rather not pay $165.00

thanks

Where is this $55 per hour shop? Around here they are $90 and up.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Run a 8' 4x4 across the rafters in the garage and use a come-long to lift.

We did a simmilar job on my dads boat last year.

WE used a engine puller. that works real nice we also had a compensator bar to adjust the lift angle that was quite helpfull as well.

For the amount of $ you are talking here you should be able to easly rent a lift. (I son't know how much they are to rent my Brother has one)But I don't tink they are much over $225 to buy.

I've replaced or repaired lots of tilt & trim units on many different makes and models of outboards. Although its a bit easier to do by lifting the whole motor off the transom, thats sure not necessary. And in fact its a lot more work. If you lack a good safe way to lift that motor, just loosen the steering tube nut, take the bracket off from one side and block the motor up under the steering tube. Then you can take the bolts for the tilt & trim out from the other bracket and just slide it out the side. The complete job usually takes less than 1 hr. Thats the way I've done 90% of them.

iffy.....could you e-mail me and give me detailed instructions on how to take out the tilt/trim I can send a picture of the setup I have back there any advice would be awesome!

[email protected]

I emailed this to you, but in case that gets filtered heres the directions, but You have to use your own judgement. This is the way I've always done them. And be sure to torque things properly during reassembly.

1. If motor is in down position, loosen manual tilt screw on the side of tt unit (til/trim) Raise motor manually and secure in up position with the flip down stop.

2. Pull the pin out of the top of the tilt cylinder. Then lower the motor manually and raise it back up again. This will leave the tilt cylinder in the down position.

3. Take the steering link off the cable.

4. Take the steering tube nut off the left side of the motor. (left when standing in back of motor looking forward) Not the steering cable nut!

5. Take the bolts out from the side of the left motor bracket. Those that attach it to the transom and those that go through to the tt unit.

6. remove the left side motor bracket.

7. unhook the electric wires for the tt unit under the cowl and slide them down.

8. loosen and remove the bolts going through the right side of the motor bracket into the tt unit. Do not remove those going through the transom on the right side.

9. Remove and replce your tt unit and reverse your steps to install.

Hope this helps. Good luck. If you hit any snags just ask whats next. Also most of the tt problems I've ever seen on OMC have been a motor that fails to run. Thats usually due to the brushes becoming corroded and frozen. Its easy to remove the motor and repair that without even removing the tt unit.