• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bullheads for bait?

Has anyone ever tried using small bullheads for walleyes. I have a small pond loaded with them and was wondering if they are good for anything other than channel cats. Sure would be nice if they were.

Until a couple years ago a couple good friends of mine fished walleye tournaments accross the upper midwest. As I recall they did use the small (less than 2") bullheads for bait at times.

I have no idea if they are a seasonal bait (ie summer vs fall), but I think they were on the Mississippi/Missouri rivers when they used them.

So give'em a shot.

K_Dawg- could you shoot me an email at gpbakken at gmail (Contact Us Please)-you-know-what?

thanks

grant

I do know that walleyes will eat bullheads-- I caught 17 and 19 inch walleye last june and both had a little 2 inch bullhead in them. confused.gif

Well I have hope yet for those things. Grant, I sent you a email but not sure if it was you given your entire email address isn't there. Here is mine if it didn't work.

[email protected]

I know mudpuppies which look really close to a bullhead work great on the mississippi around the winona area for eyes, thats all they use there not sure about bullheads.

Ive heard of people catching carp with them, but i've never used them myself.

i have seen on tv, i believe it was ted takasaki fishing the mississippi with them, but i think he called them willow cats, or something like that. he showed how to hold them when hooking them so you don't get stung, so i'm sure thats what they were