• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What brand of food do you feed?

Rip_Some_Lip

I am thinking of changing dog food brands after the latest recall stuff going on. I currently feed my dog Iams mini-chunks dry food. What are some of the better brands that you guys use? I dont have a big selection of places to buy dogfood living in a rural area. I buy it at walmart right now.

Check with your local feed store or elevator. The Coop in town started carring Diamond at my request and now it is their best selling product. They do however have a problem with owners thinking that their dogs need the Diamond Pro

(%30 Fat) that I feed to my pointers. They get a few complaints from lab owners that say their dogs are getting too fat. You are doing the right thing changing unless you want to keep funding the antihunting legislation Proctor Gamble supports. They make good cleaners and diapers but I would never feed that stuff to my dogs.

My dog seems to like eukanuba. I can get it at fleet farm. He pretty much devours everything. It hard to say about dog food now with all the recall stuff going on. Seems like they put everything unfit for human consumption in pet food. Geez they cant get wheat gluten from the good old USA? right in our back yard. Kind of make you wonder what us humans are eating.

Have fed my dogs Alpo dry for years. Just changed over to the senior 7 year as my two labs are just coming up on 7. Both healthy, good looking coats. A few Milkbones a day for their teeth. Always have fed them and all my dogs a Trojan diet. Dry dog food and water, absolutely no table scraps.

I would advise to check your brand of dog food about the list that was tainted. @ more com[anies came out and said they may have trouble with theres. CAJ

My 10 yr old Choc Lab has had Diamond her whole life. The breeder used it and I havent had any complaints. I switched from the Pro to the Lamb and Rice awhile back due to roundness setting in.

Have fed my last two dogs Science Diet, Both dogs lived to 13 and 14 years old. Neither had much for health problems either. I think it is a personal preference. I started my ne brit pup on science Diet puppy and he seems to be doing great.

I have been feeding my springer spaniel Nutro brand dog food. It's a bit spendier at the "pet" stores, but it is also available at Fleet Farm a lot cheaper. Some of the time a rep from the company is working in the pet area......I normally chat with them for a few minutes....and for my time they normally have a coupon for a few dollars off. grin.gif

We feed our pups Science Diet too. We noticed early that one of the benefits to feeding our first dog Oscar the little bit spendier stuff was less poop.

Diamond all the way. I feed the black and purple bag during hunting season and the green bag the rest of the year. I used their puppy food also for the first 12 months and the half puppy half adult for the next couple of months.

I am on the boat with cw and slot. I have use Diamond all the way. I used maintance (yellow bag) all year and switch to green bag for a month to a month in a half before hunting season starts. Also builds up storage for winter. I have had dogs live to 15-18 years old on diamond and friends have too. I buy from Marties farm store in Elk River. You can pre-buy bags and save money. In a pinch, Marv's has Diamond also

Quote:

NutriSource, Made in the great state of MINNESOTA!!

Same here....Nutrisource Chicken and Rice!

I think the trouble was wet food only. At any rate, I used to feed Science Diet. Now feed Eagle Pack in the blue bag. Had one dog on Solid Gold for a year or so and switched him to Eagle Pack two months ago.

I also feed my Lab NutriSource. I started her on that, switched to Canidae for a year or two and then switched back to NutriSource after having some skin problems. She now has a beautiful coat again.

Diamond. Its priced in-between the expensive dog foods and the cheap dog foods and my dogs do very well on it. As someone else has mentioned, they have the different 'octane' levels, the low fat for summer and the higher fat for hunting and cold weather.

My past two dogs were fed Diamond. The new pups I started on Pro-plan puppy and just switched them over to adult. Not sure if I will change brands or not. Darn stuff is $ though, that's what brings Diamond into the equation.

Quote:

You are doing the right thing changing unless you want to keep funding the antihunting legislation Proctor Gamble supports.

cw682,

Do you have information on this anti hunting legislation? I know P&G and Iams reversed their partnership with the HSUS in April of 2004 due to pressure from sportsman groups across the US if that is what you are referring to.

gspman

Purina Pro Plan all the way. Not to knock other people's choices, but didn't Diamond have a recall issue this past Fall? I believe they did! Not that they haven't corrected it, but it still worries me. I used to use Purina One, but went to the Pro Plan a year and a half ago and haven't looked back. That's my two cents! smile.gif

yes they did -

[Note from admin: Please read forum rules before posting. No unauthorized links.]

It was late in '05 if I remember right. Big recall for tainted corn...

It was almost entirely isolated to the East Coast (unless a consumer bought a bag on the east coast and transported here privately). They have different manufacturing plants and this was done in the plant that supplied food to East Coast residents.

No food is exempt form the ability that something catastrophic can happen in it's production... We have all kinds of recalls of even food produced for Human's here in American... It happens! It stinks when it does, but it happens. Always keep an ear to the ground and be on the look out for food born incidents...

Good Luck!

Ken

Just curious as to the cost of Diamond dog food? Anyone know??Thanks

Labs is correct; the problem was traced to some corn produced under drought conditions in MO I believe that had aflatoxin in it. The 40 lb. bag of Diamond Performance (purple & black bag) I bought recently at the local feed store was $22.49.

Diamond did have a recall. It was a few years. They had a bad batch of corn that had some spoiling and decided to recall all bags from thier one plant. If I remember corectly, it was not mandated by the FDA, no dogs got sick and died, it only affected a small # of bags. I do remember that all six bags I had were not on the recall. It was a much smaller recall than the current one some are dealing with.

Gspman, Yes that is the case I am refering to. As a Health and Beauty manufacturing company is their really any doubt that they are still in bed with such groups? I know that the only reason Iams got caught was a sponsership banner was at a bird dog event. In my mind I have a hard time believing their parent company P&G has no ties to HSUS or a fund like them. Iams has said that they have seperated from them, but I don't recall P&G saying the same thing. It might be just the name on the check changed.

Diamond Pro is $24

Diamond puppy is $23

At my local COOP the price is about $5 a bag cheeper than I found at the chain petstore last time I checked.

Diamond Premium, which is what I and most hunters I know feed during most of the year until hunting season. It is $17.49 for a 50lb bag.

Slotlimit, where do you buy that. I am from the Willmar area and am thinking of trying some.

slotlimit, what do you use during the hunting season if you do not use premium, why do you switch?