Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dragonsm

Stuck Fuel Filter Replacement

8 posts in this topic

Went to replace a GM fuel filter on one of my vehicles (fuel filter clips on one end...."screw on" on the other end) Clip can be slid out of the fuel line just fine, but due to rust and whatnot....the side that screws on is on there pretty good.

Any tips from any backyard mechanics (or actual mechanics for that matter) in dealing with a "stuck" fuel filter?

Or do I just spray some pb blaster on there....let sit...and then grab two wrenches and try and crank on it to pop it loose.

Thanks!

Steve

I would heat it up with a torch for a while, it will loosen quickly..... wink.gif

JUUUUUST KIDDING !!!!!! I couldn't resist, sorry.

Anyway your second option would be my choice, be sure not to damage the nut on the fitting so you can re-install new filter with no problem. Use PB Blaster several times and let it soak for a while

Quote:

Went to replace a GM fuel filter on one of my vehicles (fuel filter clips on one end...."screw on" on the other end) Clip can be slid out of the fuel line just fine, but due to rust and whatnot....the side that screws on is on there pretty good.

Any tips from any backyard mechanics (or actual mechanics for that matter) in dealing with a "stuck" fuel filter?

Or do I just spray some pb blaster on there....let sit...and then grab two wrenches and try and crank on it to pop it loose.

Thanks!

Steve

Either that, or put it back together and let someone else have the pleasure.

You may want to hit it with the penetrating oil a few times over the course of a few days to give it time to soak in better.

I tried responding to this yesterday but had some wierd error come up and the post was blank?

Must be a GM?

You can try to hit it with the penetrating oils. At the shop we cut diagonally accross the nut on the filter, then insert a prybar and twist to open up the fitting. Usually this will give it enough flex to "break loose" the fuel line side. You really have to be carefull doing this as to not cut into the thread of the fuel line fitting.

The other thing we do is cut of the filter right behind the nut. It makes it a little easier to get a line wrench on the fuel line side and a socket and ratchet on the filter side.

Either way its goint to be ugly!

These can be a pain, my recomendations are to bring it to a shop, and let them do it. If you strip out the nut on the line, it will only make it harder to do. There is a few tricks I do in the shop, one is as a.j. has stated with cutting the filter off, then using a socket to grip it better, another is to place a hard object such as a hammer behind the nut and hit it a few times with an air hammer to viberate it loose, oh ya apply lots of penetrent to it also! Good luck! But as I said this may be a project for the pros!!!

Hmm...decisions decisions.....I may just bring it in.

However, in the event that I were to decide to "cut away" at it.....how do you guys go about normally cutting it? sabre saw? hack saw? (I am guessing not a grinding wheel due to the sparks?) crazy.gif

Hacksaw, and if you go this route, then you cant fail at it, because if you do, you cant drive it to a shop!

I never thought about hitting it with an air hammer. Thats a good Idea! I'll have to give it a whirl.

We have little air saws at the shop which work great.