Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrklean

BWCA trip

6 posts in this topic

Im looking to go up to the BWCA this summer hopefully or up in the northern region. Any tips on lakes from anyone or any tips on where to head in? Any help would be great. Thanks

The grand marais/gunflint trail area has many good entry points to the BWCA. Brule lake and lake saganaga are probably the 2 most popular entries. At Saganaga resorts will motor you and your canoe out to where the no motor limits begin if you want to save some time. If your looking for smaller lakes to enter into the BWCA then Homer (just south of Brule) is a good lake...has lot's of northerns and smallies. I would post in the BWCA thread too, you'll get lot's of info in there.

Last year I went in the arrowhead trail going into little john, john lake, east pike, then into west pike and out the same way. It was very nice. We saw our share of moose canoeing and on the trails and the fishing was great. You couldn`t keep the bass off in east and west pike. The lake trout were also biting in west pike. I am going up there again this summer.

Is the arrowhead trail off the gunflint? I've usually gone in off the Ely side and the fishing is almost always good. I've been on 11 trips all to different areas and there isn't any I would not recommend.

The arrowhead trail is about 25 or 30 miles up hwy 61 from the gunflint...it's in hovland.

Quote:

Im looking to go up to the BWCA this summer hopefully or up in the northern region. Any tips on lakes from anyone or any tips on where to head in? Any help would be great. Thanks

We went on a route that started on Moose Lake and went through Vera, Knife, and Birch. I'm missing a lake in there too. We started out of Canadian Borders Outfitter, who have a resort outside of Ely on the shores of Moose Lake. They know how to do things right! We went middle of June and had wonderful weather and phenominal fishing for smallies and walleyes. Lots of camp sites to pick from, decent size portages to tackle and the scenery up there is spectacular!

If you do a google search for Canadian Border Outfitters, you'll find their website. Don't hesitate to give them a call...they'll get you in the right direction!