• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

11-14th? 4-wheelers?

Whats the chances a guy is gonna be able to get a 4-wheeler on the ice around the 11th-14th? Thinking about planning a trip, but a little aprehensive about the ice conditions! Does babbler allow you to park there and go out with 4-wheelers? How about Arnesons? Which places do allow 4 wheeler traffic? Id like to get out around arenesons reefs or 12 mile.

I think you may be pushing it a bit. I was at Arnesen's last weekend on a 4-wheeler and the ice was getting bad already. It was very chunky. There is also a big heave out by Arnesen's reef making it tricky to get out there. I belive Babbler's road is closed, but he may have re-opened due to the recent cold snap. Search for Babbler's on the site here and you should be able to find a phone number.

So Arnesons will let 4 wheelers out? i didnt think they let anyone out of there unless you were fishing through them? maybe its different since they have to have their houses out now?

You could check with the boys at Long Point.

Babbler was on the radio here in town this week and said his road is closed to ALL traffic (wheelers & snowcats included).

It will definately be nip and tuck for you...

As of yesterday Long Point Resort was allowing wheeler's & sleds out, "good fishing too". What's nice there, you don't have to travel far to find fish.

Was out off Graceton Beach Road on 4-2 and found excellent conditions and excellent fishing. Weather is supposed to warm up to 40's over the W/E but can't see the ice going that quick. Has been single digits last 2 nights and messing with the river but sure holding on for the lake.

Give us a call for info.

good chance of getting out, fished 3/30-4/3 and did very well. Morris point shut down sunday 4/1 but ice should still be in good shape with this weather. ice was a little soft on the weekend but stiffened up nice. we went out of grayson beach acess. there was alot of ice and really no bad spots yet, even the breaks were easy to cross. no idea on arneson's.

Thanks Royal Dutchman, ill have to try to get ahold of some people and see if i can find a partner or 2, my girlfriend has to work next weekend, so if i can find someone ill definately be calling you!!

Hey PerchJrkr. We are planning a trip on 4/13 - 4/14. We are planning on going out with 4 Wheelers. We will fish where we can. Sounds like Bablers is closed. Thinking of Graceton Beach area or Long Point. Have not fished GB area but have fished Long Point the last two years and done OK. I think there will be plenty of ice. Sure did not lose any this week. May pull fish house up to stay in on shore while taking portable out. Where do you live? Maybe we can hook up. Probably see ya up there if nothing else.

Hey Perch,

Think you better bring that girl. I seem to remember she caught most & biggest fish on your last trip LOL!

Hey Perch, I have a place at Arnesen's so I was able to go out of there. But you are right, you need to stay with them to use their access.

She did catch a longer one but mine had more girth. Its not about how long it is its about girth right guys?? LOL, but i dont know about more fish wink.gif Ya my uncle and a buddy of mine have fished long point 7-8 times this winter and ive been up once and it was really poor every time. i think we did better in one day out of babblers than they did for all their trips put together up there!! I dont know if theres any real structure there to hold fish anywhere at LP?? So i dont know, my uncle is in Mexico until Monday so i wont know much more till then. moneyback2- I live right near Glenwood, but if we go i guess we'll probably wind up at GB or LP too. Hopefully staying at Royal Dutchman. I cant get too excited about LP after averything ive seen this winter, maybe i can get the honey hole squeezed out of Royal Dutchman on GB wink.gif We'll definatly have to try and hook up. Ill know more on monday!

PerchJrkr, There is quite a bit of structure within 1-3 miles and beyond of LP Resort, under water rock reefs here and there with good drop off's. We have done very well there all winter. We find these reefs in the summer with our sonar's. Good luck.

Heres a quick report from friday. Went out on 4-wheeler from Graceton Beach rd. Could have drove the truck out! 40 inches of ice and still making ice that day. 4-mile bay is dangerous - there is a truck in the water and ice now! Went east to the gap and setup in 25ft. (about 6 miles or so) Caught only 1 eye in morning but noticed the water was very cloudy. Went back west and checked water clarity along the way. Found some clearer water around the lone pine in 24ft. Fishing was tremendous for the next 4 hours! Caught approx. 70 eyes and saugers( about 50/50) Most fish were males in the 15-19 inch range. Perfect eaters - even the saugers we kept were 17 inches. Bait didnt matter - used chubs and pieces of chubs - probably could have used plastics. Dont drive a truck because I said there was 40 inches of ice, we also had to cross a couple pressure ridges with 1 ft. gaps. These can open bigger at any time. Snowmobile would have worked better than ATV to be honest. Gary

There is a good chance we will be ice fishing on the opener this year if the weather doesn't get with the program.

We fished out of Graceton beach access, didnt have an extention on my auger, and barely made it through. Trucks were driving all over out there.Wheelers should be an option!! Fish were biting also.

With the warmer weather coming the cracks will be really active so everyone be especially aware. Myself and ccmonsr were out 7 miles today and them cracks were moving pretty wicked on the westside. Mainlake ice is for sure holding in there nicely though.

Widetrack....And to think were'nt you walleye fishing the pond in your new Ranger last year before the season closed on the 14th of April!!!

fiskyknut

I am planning on coming up this Wednesday and I am not sure where the Graceton Beach access is located? Would like some information on where it is. We fished out of Babblers road the previous weekend but I have heard that this is closed to all traffic.

Take Hwy 172 toward Wheelers point 7 or 8 miles. Turn west on Hwy 8 for 5 or 6 miles till you get to County Road 4 (gravel). Take 4 north for 2 or 3 miles till you run into the lake.

Sorry to be so general with mileage but I've never actually measured it. Good Luck!

Fisky: Yes, I did indeed try out the new Ranger on the 14th last year... The pull of trying out a new boat is pretty strong... Plus I wanted to say I've fished the lake for Walleye in a boat at least once in April. We fished right along the edge of the ice... I think we only caught one fish, but it was a BIG one...

Hey Royal Dutchman, how you lookin for openings for thursday, friday, possibly saturday night? i just talked to my uncle and it sounds like hes game, hes flying out of mexico now so ill know more when i talk to him tonight. Is there any snow on the lake?? i have 2 snowmobiles, but im wondering if 4 wheelers would be better? In that case ill have to hunt one down.

Moneyback2- sounds like we'll be on our way up on Thursday possibly, ill know for sure tonight but we'll definately have to hook up if i go. Sounds like graceton beach might be the better option?

PerchJrkr, our trip was cancelled today. My wife is having back surgery on Wednesday. Sure would have liked to gone. Would be nice hooking up ya too. Next year. The season ended today for me. Putting the fish house wheels away this afternoon. Good luck and catch'em all.

Perchjrkr,

Call ASAP for availability.

There were just a few snow patches left on Sat. so I would lean toward ATV's.

Hope it works for you!

Thanks for the information Royal Dutchman. I appreciate it. Being from Southern Minnesota I am not firmilar with the roads and many of the resorts.

Count your blessings Bigtoes...Graceton is a bit of a "local secret" you are lucky anyone will tell you. Good luck out there

Gettin pumped now, got the sleds all loaded up, gettin a GPS tonight from my uncle so well see if i can get that thing figured out. Sounds like my dad is comin up now- first trip to LOTW and first time ice fishing in about 5 years so the pressure is on now!! Ill see you tomorrow morning at the Royal Dutchman hopefully around 9!!

Was at long point last weekend 6th and 7th,

We drove four wheelers out but heck !! one guy drove his full sized pickup and park near us. The ice was thick but a little weird looking.

Fished out of the landing to the right about a mile in 30 ft of water. Fishing was really good. Jigging with a cut in half fathead with a blue and silver kastmaster jig with a three inch dropper line. Couldnt resist. Good luck.