Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PRFISHER

chances?

8 posts in this topic

What are the chances a guy could get out this weekend?

The ice isn't safe but I may have to try and get out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I would risk it myself. With the cooler temps existing holes that were acting as drain holes froze over and are snow covered. In my opinion that would be a one way trip to the bottom of the lake for me with my luck. I think I would try an open river area or inlet if I really had to fish or wait a couple of weeks at the most and go out on open water.

Just my thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not for me. Brittle ice with a snow load spooks me. My wife is about to send me out anyway as antsy as I am to get the boat out.

I fear late season ice far more that early season.

Driving back and forth to the cities, the ice/no ice line is not that far south of Alexandria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sure is tempting with the real cold nights...what, 6 degrees this morning? shocked.gif

I agree with Pleasant....snow cover and not knowing what the ice looks like, not for me. The snow likely insulated what ice is left too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to drive around and take a look at the lakes a little closer tomorrow, I still might try it sat.

Gissert- I took 80 tullibees over to a friend to have them smoked, if I see your truck parked down town I will drop a couple off...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PR -

I'd like that, thanks. If you really would like to donate a couple, leave them with the preschool teacher on Tuesday. I will pick them up when I drop off my daughter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PRFISCHER,

You better go a little farther North, closer to Detroit Lakes, they are much safer or i should say better ice.

I was coming up this weekend to fish nesr the Detroit Lakes area, but with Easter and all, i decieded to wait untill next weekend, besides the snow will be gone and teh bad weather will have moved out, the fishing will be lousy this weekend anyways, bring hip waders if yiu go next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

after a few days of cold, u might be able to get out on a lake that doesn't get hit by the wind much.. but you'll still prolly need a 50+ foot dock section to get out there.. But you wouldn't catch me out on the ice...be safe if ya head out..

TB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Posts

    • BringAnExtension
      What a novel concept!  Talking fishing on a fishing forum to increase interest and activity.  You may be right, it could work!  
    • leech~~
      So let me see if I understand this? You guys on the last page or so are going to "Lets Save This Forum" by high jacking the thread and talking fishing now!     Dam that could just work? Carry-on!   Good Luck.
    • jriegel
      Thanks guys for the tips looks like 3-4inch stick bright stick baits and bright spoons seem to be the go to.  Anybody ever vertical fish them or live bait? Hope the weather is.good next friday, i have always wanted to get out there and try it.  Bonus is the wife would be happy with some fresh salmon.
    • ducksnbucks
      I have been looking at the gages this morning and the L.F. still appears to be either frozen or have an ice jam at the most downstream gage in Little Fork. The discharge is not working but the water level has risen 3' since Sunday. The next upstream gage however is flowing good and has risen from 1,200cfs to 5,000+cfs since Sunday and has risen 8' in the same period. The Big Fork doesn't have cfs data so I am thinking its frozen but the height has risen 2.5' since Sunday. I would think with that flow and the warm weather it's only a matter of days until they both go.   Other trips like the Black River and Rapid River are all on the rise both cfs and height.   Also, I took a look at the Rainy at Manitou Rapids and it has risen about 2' and has gone from 14,000 cfs to 17,500 cfs since Sunday.
    • northspear
       I'm heading up Friday. Going out of spring steele. I have a delivery route that took me up there today.  Took lunch at the warroad access. They got it closed with yellow tape.  If anyone heads up earlier an update would be great.  I'm planning on an atv but will walk if I have to.  Thanks.  Good luck and tight lines!!!