Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jigginjim

Red Wing Spawners

10 posts in this topic

Just checking if anyone has come across any of the fish starting to spawn?

Oh yeah, cold water may prolong it alittle!

Cant give you up to date info on the Walleyes and Saugers, but I know we have been chasing Perch in the Backwaters of the Mississippi and Chippewa River and I would say 90% of the females caught have been spawned out starting last thursday... The few Walleyes we have caught have all had spawn..but I believe some fish should have spawned when the water temps reacehd 45 or 46 last week... Colder temps will likely prolong spawning times and those fishing will likely find fish in all three stages for the next 8-10 days...pre spawn.. spawn, and post spawn.

Good luck to those who are tougher than myself and brave the cool temps this weekend

PC

I have not been down myself but the report from 4 reliable sources (2 baits shops and 2 fellow anglers) is it is very slow. my anglers fished all day today and never seen a fish come to a boat.....anywhere. bait shops reporting a major slow down......even suggested the 4 letter word.......work instead of fishing right now since it had gotten so slow........thats all i got to say about that

with the water temps dropping from 44 degrees on Sunday to 38 degree's this morning one would expect the bite to be slow. As for the spawn I don't think too many walleyes have spawned yet as the water temp hasn't been stable in mid to upper 40's enough. One would expect the temps to rise once we get a few days of sunny warmer weather (even mid 40 degree days with sun will help) along with whatever runoff we get from snow up north or any rain we may get.

Looks like next week or following week will be the biggest potential for the walleyes to move up and begin thier run and spawn.........at least that is what i would expect from what i have seen and read so far this spring.

good luck.........

We were down there today. While it was not fast and furious we did get enough fish to stay interested. Joel was putting on a clinic on his side of the boat. I don't think I will ever hear the end of it. All I can say is NEXT TIME! I will be driving the boat in a manner that he will definatly not get bit.

mw

Oh yeah, hair jigs seemed to work best.

mw

I'll keep it on the DL, as it was tough enough controlling the boat in the current; let alone having the wind whip us about as well. I appreciate the guided trip.

Brighter colored hair-jigs produced several chunky sauger, and the weights were quite heavy to fight the effects of current and wind. 1/2oz or heavier was needed to keep as vertical as possible, esp. in the deeper water.

Joel

just got back from the mighty MISS fished all depts 3-21 fow did not get a big saw 2 fish caught from a floatilla of about 15 boats fished on the Wisconsin side down from the dam, am taking my little brother back tomorow any help would be appreciated how deep did you get those saugers.

If you want to stay away from some of the crowd fish the mainland side of the locks. I have been getting mine in 12-14 foot. Ringworm on one pole and a minnow on a plain jig on the other. Basically not moving them except to contact bottom. Just a 4-6" lift and hold steady. There will be people there but no one really anchors on this side so you can get a nice drift going.