Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
uphill

Help with native plants and grass?

14 posts in this topic

Last Spring or I think it was last spring there was a post that turned into a conversation about Native Prairie Grass and Plants. I did a search and I know there was someone that post here that has his yard in St. Cloud planted with some native plants or grass. I am intrested in planting some native plants and grass in my yard. So please help me with finding the post or if you are the one with the plants in your yard please respond.

Check out this subject from 8/7/06 "And what are you doing to conserve water in St. Cloud???". I think it's what you're looking for.

That is was the title of the thread that someone referenced to their yard being made up of prairie and native grasses/plants.

Uphill,

I have converted most of the front yard into natives grasses and forbs. It has been a fun and rewarding learning experience. Not to mention I only have to mow a small patch of grass!!! I actually got most of my seed from a place called Prairie Moon (available online) and Prairie Restorations near Princeton/Cambridge area. Both have excellent resources online on how to get started. There is also a Native Prairie handbook available through the DNR site here: DNR Native Prairie Handbook

Seriously, drop me an email (in profile) if you have any questions. I am no expert, but I have worked with plenty that are very experienced. grin.gif

Thanks everyone! SH I will send you some mail in the near future.

Have any of you guys that have converted to a more native/natural setting noticed and increase in birds or other animals in your yard since the change? I live in the inner city right now, but someday when I get my house outside of the cities (keeping fingers crossed) I want to keep my property as natural as possible. But yeah, I just wanted to know if it has helped you guys attract more wildlife.

Theres no question it pulls more of everything into your yard.

Not much comparison in a well manicured lawn, and what native vegataion provides.

I dont have native grasses at home, but what I did do when we built the house was instruct the builder to NOT do any clearing of any sort outside of what they absolutely had to, to build the house.

Today, I have 8 acres of land, and my lawn is about half the size of what I mowed on my city lot when we lived in Andover.

Keepin it wild.

It drives me nuts to no end when people take a nice wooded/brush acreage lot, and clear all the understory and all trees a few inches in diameter and less, just so they can have a nice yard.

I know its everyones personal opinion as to what they like. Just one of those things I guess. To me, if you move to the country, leave it like the country the best you can. Don't try to make a golf course. smirk.gif

I couldn't agree with you more! When I get my house, if there's not enough trees I'm putting more in! Some of these yards I've seen look exactly like a small golf course! But yeah, it's there land they can do what they want with it. I'm just venting I guess.

uphill, what is your specific question? I work for a company that does native prairie restoration, and would be happy to answer any of your questions! email me at Fisherman27 (at) hotmail ((Contact Us Please)) com

Does anyone know some good links where I could get some info on prairie/woodland/wetland restoration? It's not really something I need to worry about for a few years yet, but would be nice to get some general knowledge on the subject.

Contact your local DNR Wildlife Managers and USFWS office.

They get paid to help get you the info you are looking for.

Go to the University of Minnesota's site, look for erosion control... there is more info than you will ever want to look at there.

I saw an add on the back of St. Cloud Times the other day for a company specializing in this.