Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LakeTahoe

River 'eyes

8 posts in this topic

I live in Maple Grove and was wondering where would be the closest place to go to catch some walleyes to C&R on the mighty Mississippi, and with that the boat access location too... I just have a 14 ft with 15HP.

Any thoughts would be great.

River walleyes are awfull tough out here. I have caught most of mine on jigs with minnows. I don't think one spot is much better than the next, they are kind of scattered throughout the river. You should be able to get your boat in at most accesses from Anoka to St. Cloud. I have had the best luck in the late fall, but haven't tried too much otherwise. There are some decent sized walleyes in there wink.gif

Keep in mind that on the upper miss eye season is closed, if you want to go right no (brrrr.) pool 2 south of the Ford Dam is your best bet!

I 2nd pool 2 - it's a walleye factory. Well for being in the city it is. grin.gif

There was an article in the Strib or the Dispatch a number of years ago about downtown St. Paul being a really great spot for BIG Walleye's, you had to throw them back because of the pollution back then but I recall a study saying they cleaned that part of the river up. 10#'s was supposed to be pretty common.

You have to throw them back by St. Paul because that is pool 2, which is C&R only.

Was down there last fall and the fishing was very good. I posted a picture of a BIG 'eye I caught down there. It's in the walleye forum. You have to work for them but it can really pay off.

WOW, great fish, yep, Pool 2 is where it's at. shocked.gifshocked.gif

Now!!!link us to that fish pic!!!! mad.gifmad.gif