Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shae1986

All right, time to talk opener!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19 posts in this topic

Im tired of this its time to think positive and talk about opener fishing for the walleyes. Wondering where people will be headed this year. I will be headed to either Pelican or Ottertail on opener morning and maybe try pine in the evening if i cant seem to locate the walleyes on one of the lakes. Or I will hit long and see if i can locate some walleyes, basically bc i like the challange.

Lets hear it.

A. Shae

I'll be out at midnight or before depending on which lake we try. One of our favorite walleye lake has a huge crappie nite bite on the other end of the lake. If it is raining we will not head out till midnight then fish closer to our cabin. By closer I mean within 20 miles of Munson lake. If you see two large idots in rain gair in the pouring rain at midnight most likley it is me.

Me and about 6 other guys are hittin Mille Lacs this year... I hope to get my 7 1/2 + pounder either there or in Devils before year end.

Also, I hope we don't get swamped by the millions of boats out in the Big Pond this year for the opener confused.gifcrazy.gif

Out at midnight, eh? A lot of crazy people do that.

Not Da Hitman -- I need to save my strength for the 6 am wakeup call. Plus, where do you find a good breakfast at midnight?

I'm with Hitman - Need a good base to start the day.

Little bacon and eggs and we're off.

LOL

DL

Tradition for me and some friends to go to Gull Lake, but switched to a smaller lake last year to try find some warmer water. Lake Andrew by Alexandria. Rained the whole time but it was warm in the gentlemans club north of town. Will try fish more this year.

no talking about "Lookers" blush.giftongue.gif

this is a family site now ok? wink.gif

Hitman, weres your sense of adventure. I'll allready have cleaned my days limit and had breakfast before you get out of bed. (on a normal year). Then I sleep till 2pm get up and chase mr pike around in cirlces or hit the crappie bit in the afternoon. Cna't wait. I have been sitting at work all day tying up a years supply of spinner rigs. My fingers are getting sore and my eyes hut but just about done. only one more package of hooks left.

My wife and I will normally head down to my parents home on the lake. We grill burgers just before midnight....have a little feast....and then its game on. We fish for a couple of hours...and then head to bed. We normally do pretty well....walleyes are running pretty shallow...don’t even have to use a boat to catch a nice limit or whatever. I normally don’t go out during the day light hours...too many boats to contend with....rather have the area all to myself under the cover of darkness. wink.gif

Cliffy

We did the whole slip bobber from shore a few years back during some really nasty wind at midnight an dmanage do to OK on a lake that doesnt have a very decent fish poluation. or should i say not known for its walleyes.

Quote:

I normally don’t go out during the day light hours...too many boats to contend with....rather have the area all to myself under the cover of darkness.
wink.gif

Ohh are we ever on the same page!! laugh.gif

im also hoping to be off the lake by noon., but you never know ., i might have to attend a softball game so it might be a midnight deal for me., im going to start out at pelican,. where i have done the past 7 years ., but if i do a midnight ,.it might be big C.,hey ., good luck to all this year,. and be safe!!

TRADITION

Wake up at 5 am...RAINING

Wake up at 8 am...POURING

Wake up at 10 am..Raining

Have Lunch Not raining.

Get bait see how windy it is and go CRAP were going to a differnt lake.

fish private lake for crappies, not use bait we purchased have a blast, freeze rear ends off have crappie dinner that night. Get up early Sunday morning NICE SUNNY DAY perfect

Am I correct?

almost, it is usually raining on Sunday too. Monday morning is when it gets sunny tongue.gif

Openers almost always bad and I know why -- we are supposed to be at home for Mother's Day.

They have a deal worked out with Mother Nature. Those females -- they stick together.

Dead -- Speaking of females, have you milked any big females, lately?

Now that sounds like a trick question, Hitman!

I will be heading to Winnie for my first up north fishing opener. That is, if the ice comes off.

Star if we get some decent weather before the opener. Seemed to get a little better size than when we used to start on Lida. This year I might try Lizze if the spring is cold. Found some nice eyes there last year.

On Sunday we like to hit a new lake we have never fished before. It is a tradition to try something new every year on the second day of openr. Last year we went to some lake by Vergas and got some nice eyes at high noon on night crawlers in 9 fow. Usually hit at least 2-3 lakes each day.

Hoping the weather is nice, but of course im not banking on it, i'll more than likly go anyway, wind might determine lake, if its real windy i'll probably head to either sybil or silent.