Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishnhuntnboy

average weather

13 posts in this topic

I have got a question. I was wondering what is the average weather up there threw the year. I will be moving up there in about 5-6 months for college. Right now i live in indiana but i do go up there to visit my dad in the east central part of the state. I was just wondering what it is like up there and how good or bad the weather gets. if you have any input it would greatly help. Thanks.

Well if you move up here in 6 months, you'll be just in time for next winter. smile.gif

Imagine the coldest weather you have ever seen in Indiana and subtract about 20 degrees from that.

Winter goes from late October to April, infact we just got 5 inches of snow last night and the temp this morning was 11 degrees. You'll want to get a tank heater for your car, for those cold mornings when the temp drops to 40 below zero, with wind chills in excess of 60 below zero. One thing you need to remember is winter up here in the great white north is a serious matter. If your car goes in the ditch, or breaks down on some back road, the weather can kill you, if you're not prepared for it.

Anyway, have a great time at school. smile.gif

"Ace" cool.gif

You are moving to Minnesota!! There IS no average weather!! grin.gif

120 degrees at times during the summer and as low as 60 below zero on occation in the winter. shocked.gif

Great place to live though.

Any temperature can be fairly comfortable outside if you are dressed right. Dress wrong in the nasty weather and you will suffer! crazy.gif

Welcome to the North Land.

Cliff

Eh, don't let the weather scare you. It's a beautiful area and like was said, dress appropriately any time of year as you would in Indiana.

As long as you enjoy doing things outdoors, you'll enjoy your environment.

And as a former Iowan, the weather here is much colder but it is not nearly as nasty as the cold that you flatlanders get in the midwest. We get a dry cold without the constant wind that you are use to. And as Ace states, if not prepared, you could be in big trouble. I assume you are headed to Ely. Lots of things for the outdoorsperson to keep busy with.

Welcome to the area

make sure you have a job....if you need one....plenty of college age jobs available....

hey thanks guys. that will help. i will be going to vermilion community college. i have been up that way before for vacation. it is a very beautiful place up there. i am just trying to get prepared for it.

another question. how is the fishing and hunting life up there? especially the fishing. i love the outdoors and that is what i am going to college for.

Thanks again

Fishing is great up on vermilion for walleyes, muskies,pike,perch almost anything your after. If your looking for trout miners lake in ely is supposed to be very good and there are several other options up there. There are a lot of good fishing lakes in Ely. I believe there is also quite a bit of public hunting land up there, but i dont think the deer population is as high up there, some grouse though.

Fishing and hunting is great in the Ely/Tower area.

Lots of public hunting land and more lakes and streams to fish then you will ever find time to fish! grin.gif

You will have a great time here.

Cliff

The deer population isn't high? That poop in my yard didn't come from cows, and those reddish brown things jumping across the road last summer, and standing in herds in the fields didn't look like cows either. smile.gif

Well I hunt up around Cook and we hardly see any deer. It just changed from a lottery permit area last year, I just meant to say that there arent as many up there as there are farther south. I said the deer population isnt as high wink.gif

Right. No deer under MY dock. smile.gif

thanks guys. this will help me out alot. especially being an avid outdoorsman.

thanks again