Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shack

Opener Blues Cure!

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone know the poor mans bidge pump? Or the I forgot the plug and your in 1' 1/2 of water, get ya out of trouble so you do not ruin the day trick? Well I'll tell ya! You get the boat to full throttle, or the fastest your boat will go full of water. This is key, so pay attention. Slowly carefully take and pull the drain plug out. You will watch the water drain right out the drain hole and after it drains out, put plug back in! As strange as it might be, the same thing that got you into this mess (in that case do not even put plug back in, get her to full throttle right away) can get you out of it. I my self have fallen victum to the rush at the launch. You want to get out fishing badly or impress your buddies on how cool of a set you have. Most times first trip of year. During the launch time, you forget the one little most important thing of fishing from a boat, "the plug". This little F.M.er tip is from me to you. I hope it will help. For all of you that had know of this trick, you know what I mean.

P.S.,

At least your boats floor and carpet are clean after this. After finding out 1/4 to 1/2 mile from launch that you forgot to put plug in and saving a badly sinking boat before your fishing buddies eyes. 9 times out of 10, the first things out of there mouths after this drama is "at least your carpet is clean"

True story. Last year I had to do just that, and it worked beautifully!!

Yep, done it a few times myself. One day it was pouring out and combined with back trolling into waves I filled up quick and instead of running the bilge all day Id take a minute and drain the water out with that method.

Tried this when I was a kid, but I couldn't row fast enough. Got wet.... frown.gif

LM

BE CAREFUL DOING THIS!!!!!! Was on Mille Lacs and I saw a 19 footer that forgot his plug and had to park a couple blocks away. Anyway rather than use his bilge pump, he pulled out of the harbor and cranked the 175 about 3/4 throttle, all the water went to the back, front went straight up in the air, motor went under and died, now he's got a full boat of water. We rescued his tackle boxes and everything else that floated, then pulled him back into the harbor, luckily the bilge still worked. Took him a good half day to pump her empty. Worse part was listening to his buddy, he had no sympathy.

Along the same lines....If your like me I pull my areator pumps out of the housing when storing in the winter,so water doesnt freeze inside and crack the housing.Well let me tell you,the water can come in pretty fast when you forget to put the pumps back in frown.gif.So pay attention on that maden voyage this spring.

i have been there myself, i took a buddy that has never been fishing much. i landed the boat told him to hold onto the dock and went to park the truck. when i came back, he had floated away and the boat was full of water. i swam out to him and put the plug in right away and called my dad. he told me the trick of buzzing around the lake and it worked like a charm. he also to me not to feel too bad, it happens to everyone at least once