• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Missing Person

Wanderer

Hi guys,

We have a hunting partner that disappeared yesterday. He left on his own and we beleive he doesn't want to be found. He has no ID on him and limited cash. Time is crucial.

He hunts Sharptails in the Aitkin Co. (abandoned rail bed/McGrath/ McGreagor area) but on his own so we don't know where to look. We found proof he was in Benson since he left yesterday but feel he went North from there.

He is about 40-42, 5'11", 190 lbs. Caucasion. Groomed beard/mustache (light colored) Short brown hair with grey highlights. He drives a 1995 Ford F150 extended cab with topper. Dk blu with tan rocker panels. Several sporting stickers on the back door.

The Sheriff's dept in Pope and Aitkin Co's have been alerted and should be contacted with any sightings. Do not approach - just call the Sheriff please.

I am reluctant to share his name and license number(habitat plate) at this time.

If someone has time to check the better areas, I would apprectiate it. We will probably head there tomorrow ourselves.

Thank you.

Oriens XO will be in Montivideo this weekend I am sure he will keep an active eye out.

I will be in the Park Rapids and Sherburne County area this weekend - and will be keeping an eye open.

Good luck

You mentioned that he might not want to be found. Any reason?

Also not to approach. Is he armed and dangerous, is he unstable??

Just in case we come across him I would feel better knowing the circumstances.

Mike

Thanks for checking this out, even those who don't reply.

We sincerely hope he isn't planning on "closing the books" if you know what I mean. Unfortunately all the clues point to that. So I would tend to lean toward the unstable at this time. Also, he left all but one of his guns at our hunting camp (an O/U 20 ga.).

I can't beleive he would intend to harm anybody else but don't take that chance. Also, I don't want him to know his location is known since he is hard to track. WE need to catch up to him. We NEED him to sit still.

We won't know the whole truth about this situation until he shows up.

Thanks again and take care.

Tough situation man. I will be looking out for the vehicle and the personal description in the Nisswa area.

Benson you say? I live there but I'm out of town right now. Will be back tomorrow - but you think he's not there anymore, eh?

The sad situation is: We just don't know.

He has a trailer parked out there but all we found is that he dropped off his favorite gear in the other camper. As if he was giving it to his best friend. It doesn't appear that he even went into his own.

The reason we think he left the area is, for one, we checked alot of our usual spots and the entire property the campers are on - no sign. The second is we feel he may not want to ruin the area for the rest of us with bad memories.

We've been hunting that area for around 20 years. He knows we consider it very special. But that is the reason we headed there first and we were just hours behind him, or maybe we just missed him someplace while we were there.

ANY help is good! ANYWHERE in the state. We are forming a search party for Aitkin Co. this weekend since we found his maps and they are well marked. We are contacting friends with wheelers and sleds since they just got about a foot of snow up there.

We do feel we're being too slow at this but we don't have this kind of experience to know what to do next. The Sheriff has a statewide APB out but thats all they can do since he isn't a minor. They basically told us its up to us to do the searching.

We need eyes everywhere.

Thanks so much!

Wanderer, if you find some "sign" of him in a certain area and you would like some help - please let us know on here.

Huh,

Don't know why the reply didn't take....

I was saying that I check this website and this thread in particular several times day and night. I will put out anything new.

We're hoping WCCO radio can air the information since WCCO TV won't. I'm trying to get Channel 5 interested but we'll see if policy allows reporting only after the fact.

At this point I will say his name is Pat Feretti and the plate number registered with the state is NE 253. His previous habitat plate number was DH 253, which he may have kept. We no longer are worried that giving this out will cause any embarrassment if he just shows up (hopefully).

Wanderer, I have a couple college degrees in psyc, soc., and crim. justice. From what I have learned through work, education and other experience is that a person who wants to "close the books" alot of times want comfort and an ease; for this reason they will go to a place that feels safe - happy memories in a specific place cause the person to "want to be there" - a hunting area which he loved, lake which he could not stop talking about or an old family home are places I would look.

I wish you the best of luck and if I can be of any help please let me know.

Keeping an eye out there for ya! Have not seen anything. Wrote plate down and heading to St. Cloud and then Brainard and back to Elk River on Friday. Every one gets low in life at one point. Wether its the law or personal life, not all people judge that person badly. I will help out just about anybody and never even have a thought others wise. Pat if your out there reading this for some reason, e-mail me I will try to help. You will never see me again and can trust me. Good luck and Good luck to you all.

Sincerly Yours,

SHACKBASH

[email protected] and [email protected]

P.S.

I am not religious or any thing, I am just a reg. old guy wanting to help.

Tealitup and Shackbash,

Thanks for looking and offering help. We have a concentrated effort, about 15 people and wheelers headed for McGreagor/Palisade tomorrow morning. We'll post flyers with his picture and his truck in the towns up there. After that if we don't find anything, we'll just keep travelling around areas he did talk about and post flyers.

We do have the help of someone who lives in McGreagor and did hunt the area with Pat. He knows the favorite spots and how to get to them.

Tealitup, I couldn't agree more with you about your thoughts on places a person would go. He lives for bird hunting, his Shorthair pointers, skeet shooting, and archery for deer. Those are his escapes so thats what we're concentrating on.

He left his wallet and phone at home. He took out $100 from an ATM before he left. It didn't appear that he took any warm clothes or camping gear. He left Oak Grove Monday afternoon. Tuesday morning we found his tree stand with gear and his two favorite guns in his best friends camper in Benson. No sign since.

Thanks to all who help.

Praying for your friend and his family.

Should you post a picture him?

A picture of his vehicle would also stick in our mind longer. Does it look like this?

NE 253 DH 253

1995F-150.jpg

Just a thought.

Thanks Snapcrackpop.

The truck does indeed look like that with the exceptions of Gold rockers and fiberglass topper. The stickers on the back window are Pheasants Forever, Sharptail Society, DU, etc. on the right side and Born to hunt, forced to work with a deer on the left side. Everyone knows what this stuff looks like!

Our group is growing rapidly today, possibly 30 people! I think that'll cover the area pretty well. We may even have someone with a plane. Huge help!

We're starting to think about breaking up a bit to recheck Benson, the Perham area and maybe other ideas all the people are bringing in.

He hunted the South Dakota Grasslands every year also and our gas/cash calculations put that within the possible circle.

Our request for a news release was granted today by the Anoka Co. Sheriff so the media can pick it up if they deem it interesting enough. Not to sound negative but thats the way it is.

What I didn't know before, I sure am learning.

Thanks again.

I have Family in the benson area. I'll get them a description and have them keep an eye out.

I'll be up in the McGregor area this weekend. I've taken the plate and vehicle make down and I'll take a look.

Was all over the page yesterday and did not see any sign of the truck. I also have not got any e-mails either. I hope things turn in the end for the better. Good luck and will keep looking.

Sincerest regards,

SHACKBASH

I kept my eye peeled around the McGregor, Wright and Cromwell area but didn't see anything. I'm hoping everything turns out ok.

Thank you to those who have looked or otherwise been concerned.

We had a 20+ person crowd show up Saturday in Palisade at Kelly's Kitchen. Great people, I'm blessed to know them.

We found his truck parked just off the Soo Line by Round Lake at 10:30 am. No sign of him. Our suspicions were correct that he got there before the snow on Tuesday as there wasn't any on the ground under the truck.

True to Pat's nature, he scraped all the stickers off the rear topper door and removed his license plates. We also have learned that he probably had his snow camo with him. No note or other clues, although his actions have spoken clearly for him.

The Aitkin Co. Sheriff began an air and dog search Saturday afternoon and continued yesterday but no word yet. They will do another air search when most of the snow is gone and may ask us to do another foot search. Today is probably their best chance since it sounds like snow is coming again.

There is always some hope until the proof is found but we are beginning to accept what likely happened. I will post if he is found.

Take care of your friends even if they are a little different. Friends are the only true currency in this world.

So sad! Our thoughts and prayers go out to Pat and all who know and love him! As you posted keep the faith! Hope all turns out well... it sounds like Pat is blessed with great friends! Keep us posted...

Good Luck!

Ken

Wanderer, our hopes, thoughts, and prayers go out to you, Pat, and all involved in this...

No news....The Sheriff has been out looking since Sat. The search was to be suspended in the event of snow. I haven't checked NOAA yet, but I bet they got some there too.

The Sheriff is confident they'll find him if he's there. He's also talking of a possible foot search this weekend. I've made the decision to go to South Dakota so I won't be going if there is one. I have conflicting feelings about that though.

Pat would tell me not to skip a hunting trip for him, I'm sure, but also I'm frustrated that he made it sooooo hard to find him. Which leads to the other thought of: Did he just take off?

I dunno. Hopefully time will tell.

Thank you.

Hello,

If there's still anyone checking this thread, the latest is: According to Pat's wife, the Sheriff is considering calling out the National Gaurd for a foot search soon.

This is information I received through an Email and don't have much more to offer until I get some voice mails returned.

I just got back from S.D. about 2 am this morning so I have some catching up to do. I did get my first Merriam though! grin.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Congrats on your first Merriams!

I've been thinking and saying a prayer for your hunting buddy. Thanks for the update.

Latest update:

Another team of cadaver trained dogs were out yesterday and probably today since I didn't hear a report. The speculation was perhaps the first team of dogs were there too early.

The chopper has been up and another small group of friends and relatives did a foot search of the area with their bird dogs last Sunday. Way too much area for a handful of people.

The comment from the Sheriff was that he figured his window for success would likely be about closed in a month. Roughly 8-9 people have not been found in Aitkin County over the last 12 years or so. They find most of them.

Take a peek back at his picture, maybe he started over somewhere else. Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Latest update:

Another team of cadaver trained dogs were out yesterday and probably today since I didn't hear a report. The speculation was perhaps the first team of dogs were there too early.

The chopper has been up and another small group of friends and relatives did a foot search of the area with their bird dogs last Sunday. Way too much area for a handful of people.

The comment from the Sheriff was that he figured his window for success would likely be about closed in a month. Roughly 8-9 people have not been found in Aitkin County over the last 12 years or so. They find most of them.

Take a peek back at his picture, maybe he started over somewhere else. Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers.

Scary situation, but I find it really strange that he would take the stickers and license plates off the vehicle and then cashed in his chips. It doesn't make sense to me. I think he probably left with someone else or got in another vehicle. Although when people are in a certain state of mind, there probably isn't much that makes sense to those who know them really well even.

I hope he is found safe and sound though.