Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mojoputter

Float Tubes

12 posts in this topic

Thinking of buying a couple of float tubes for my 13 year son and myself, anything I should be specifically looking for that anyone would suggest. I've been looking at the Fish Cat 4 deluxe that Cabela's has. Any idea's from someone who have used float tubes would help.

Look for units that allow you to sit as high in the water as possible-very important. How many inflation compartments? What is bladder material and how thick is it?Quality is important here; look carefully at seams and other parts of the assembly. Buy good quality swim fins if that is the type tube. And, most importantly, , buy and WEAR one of the quick-inflate PFD's, such as SOS. If you want to know the REAL meaning of terror be tied up in a float tube in the middlle of the lake when it suddenly collapses! Tubes and floats are a blast and you and your son are going to have a ton of fun! I envy you. Just take your time buying gear.

I have a Hobie and love it. I also have TWO boats, VERY nice boats, and you'd be surprised how often I go for the Hobie!! wink.gif

Ufatz, I see your in Ottertail county, my family has been going to Shady grove resort on Rush lake for several years. I'm looking forward to getting the tubes out on a few of those lakes up there that have limited access, I think there is a few rivers there that I might try to find. Thanks for the info.

I have a cadis and have used it for about the last 8 years and I love the thing. Do not go cheap and like stated before find something that sits you up high in the water. A tip that I picked up, is use a pfd cushion to sit on, it gives you a bit of extra lift and also a safety precaution in case something does happen.

I have a fishcat and really like it! I think for the money you can't go wrong.

I gave my float tube away after using it a few times. I didn't like getting blown around in the water by every tiny breeze. A canoe was a vast improvement. Hopefully you'll be fishing very protected ponds and other areas that have no wind or current.

MoJo....an additional thought, since you mention streams. Be VERY careful about using a round or U-shaped inflatable tube on moving water. Personally, the rule I used to have was I would NOT sell a person a float tube if they indicated they were going to use it in a stream or river. Maybe on the slow reaches of the Ottertail. Have fun. crazy.gif

Hmmm thats interesting. I use my float tube in pretty windy conditions with no problem. they key is kick with your back to the wind and you can usually stay pretty much in one place while fishing.If it is very very windy I don't want to want to fish in anything short of a 16 foot lund... wink.gif

I agree, if you are planning to fish moving water mostly, go with a kayak or canoe...

I tried to like the float tube, even using the kicking with the back to the wind trick. It's simply too much trouble compared to using a boat.

That is suprising to me, I only have one good leg, and I have no problems tubing, mabye it was the kind of tube you tried or the size lake you were on? Oh well, boats are nice to fish from too, so have fun and don't catch em all! cool.gif

I have been out on some pretty windy days and have had no problems, actually you can do a nice controlled drift if you know what you are doing. I use mine is the upper stretches of the Miss and have had a blast with it. It helps when you are with another person. I also have a canoe and it also is fun, it is all personal choice.