Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GoggleEye

Looking for fishing partner to share drive with to Rainy River?

4 posts in this topic

Hello all, I am looking to come up from the New Richmond, WI area (about 25 miles east of the twin cities)and fish the rainy for the first time. I would like to go the weekend of the 21st and 22nd, but I fear this may be too late for the spawn. Am I right in thinking this? Also, is there anyone out there who would be interested in driving up with me to share gas costs and such. I wouldn't mind camping, or a cheap hotel would work too. I have a boat, but it is only a 14 ft. with a 15 hp. motor. I would be willing to take it up if need be. If anyone is interested, let me know.

GoggleEye

Goggle eye....Walleye season closes on the 14th. Sturgeon fishing should be getting into high gear on those dates you mention though.

fiskyknut

Yah sorry, Walleye season will be closed, but as Fisky said the Sturgeon should be biting. There is a Fishing Minnesota get together up there that weekend (Saturday 21st) with sturgeon the targeted species. If you're really set on coming up on the weekend of the 21st/22nd you should come up for that. Walleye are over-rated anyways!!!

I "plan" on going on Saturday, and should have room for you if you wanted to jump in my boat, it's plenty big and I have Sturgeon gear if you don't. Otherwise I'm sure finding someone to fish with wouldn't be a problem, it sounds like there are going to be a lot of people up fishing.

Ah, thanks for letting me know guys. That is a bummer. I guess I will just have to settle for finishing out fishing my walleye spawns down on the mississippi. I was looking forward to trying somewhere new too. Anyways, when does the walleye season re-open on the rainy? Catman Lee, I just may take you up on your offer if I decide to come up that weekend. Do you have an email or anything? I do have sturgeon equipment too. I don't intentionally fish for them ever, but I do have some heavyweight catfish gear that I could use. How do you guys usually fish the sturgeon that time of year??