• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team 3 - Five Guys Not From Wisconsin

HateHumminbird

Iff - What's going on in ND? Get out there and whack your bird? Isn't as easy as they make it look on tv is it? smile.gif Let us know if we can help.

Ret, I think you're in the on-deck circle. Good luck to everyone!

Joel

Heading out on Friday morning. Thing called work in the way. I will be doing a briefing in a funeral home tommorrow maybe that will be a good omen for the birds ooo.gif

Looks like it could be very wet friday - sunday in southern MN. Pop has five spotted on his bus route that have been there since monday morning. If they don't laugh to hard at my calling it just maybe my year laugh.gif

Swabby

Good luck Ret! I've been doing some more scouting myself and got 2 pretty good spots to chose from that haven't recieved any pressure this year. Luckily I got permission just this week as my other spots got cancelled out due to poor sportsmanship/abuse of property by previous hunters this year. Bonus is that there is alot of dead elms so if the turkeys don't cooperate, the Morels should!

Brian

PG:

You lucky dawg! Most of the places I turkey hunt had massive white elm die-offs around 10 years ago. Boy did we find morels then!

Ret, any updates? Hope this morning was good to you, let us know if you need any help or support!

Joel

Just returned from down south. Talked about wind and rain. Friday rain and wind. Saturday more rain and wind, Today more rain and wind only thunder joined the crowd. Birds were skittish at best and as far as calling or hearing anything it was a no go. I couldn't get one any closer than about 60 - 70 yards. Had a tom out in the pasture this morning and did a run and gun on him. Dad sat back and watched as we were changing fields. Did fine was within 100 yards of a strutting tom when two pheasants busted me. Until that point dad said the birds paid no interest to me. I had a large dence fence line and deep creek to conceal my movements. Frustrating to get busted by another one of mother natures alarm systems.

Wind made it tough.

Wish I had better results.

Swabby

Ret:

Sounds like you were in the game at least! It's ultra frustrating with MN's 5-day seasons, that you should have the run of bad luck to get this many windy/rainy days in a row.

And getting busted is just part of turkey hunting. I've been had by everything from Blue Jays to Bluebills (seriously), and it seems like I yearly find a new animal that can bust me. Last year it was a Mule Deer, this year, it hasn't happened.....yet.

Good work in getting out there and hunting. There were a few of those days that quite a few guys didn't even venture out I'm sure.

Joel

Papa Grump:

Good luck on your hunt tomorrow. Sounds like the weather should settle down for your hunt a bit, and I'm betting the gobbling will be fast/furious after they've been subdued so long.

How about our North Dakota brethren? Any hunt details? They're not as easy to kill as you'd expect are they? smile.gif

Joel

Thanks Joel! Spotted a couple of keepers this afternoon and they weren't very skittish either. They milled around about 100 yards from the truck and couldn't have cared less. Plus I found 40 morels too boot.

PG:

Quite jealous over here. I'm having no problems finding the birds, but morels, that's a different story. I think I need to get away from the home place, though visions of all the morels I used to find 10 years ago make it difficult. Dutch elm really came through our valley strong then, and you couldn't walk 20 steps without finding one. Now, it's like they're ghosts.

So lay it on thick with the turkey talk, but man, take it easy on me with the morel stories smile.gif

Joel

Well, I was going to wish you good luck PG, but your probably already plucking your bird by now. laugh.gif

Your timing seems good. I've seen more strutters over the last two days, than I've seen all season. Yesterday I had three mature Tom's strutting less than 70 yds from me as I was doing some shore fishing on the Cannon River. The big Boss Tom was dancing circles with a hen, while the other two Toms (both solid 2-3 year olds)were entertaining themselves. crazy.gif

In case you haven't scored yet, good luck with the rest of your season.

What a frustrating hunt this year. I did the old "swing and a miss" Tuesday morning at 35 yards, downhill, and that was the only shot I had all week frown.gif It frustrated me so much I spent that afternoon re-checking out my shot pattern which should have hit that bird. I had hens all around me as close as 5 yards away, but the Toms just wouldn't come out of the woods or would stay out of range. Plus I really only got 3 good days in since the weather turned nice, the farming had to get done on Friday and Saturday morning. I guess if there was a bright side to all this was in the evenings while scouting for roosting sites ,I found about 400 mushrooms. Wish I could have done better, but it wasn't meant to be I guess..

This morning I had a buddy call me up and said there were three toms in his behind his dads place. So I ran home quick grab my gun and got out there. The toms were out of sight. I had a good idea of where they were heading so I took off up the trail about half way up the hill I called to see if I could ge an answer. I got an answer much closer than I expected but not in shotgun range. I spotted one of them a decent looking bird but it was about 75 yds away. The problem became I knew where they were and they also knew where I was. They took off in a hurry. Didn't get a shot at any of them. So I left to go back to work. Right as I got back into city limits here was a hugh tom sitting right in the curb and gutter of the road. Hopefully this weekend can produce something. One thing I know for sure is I sure have not had the time I would like to have had this spring to be out after them to much going on for me. I suppose being sick for 2 weeks might have hampered that too.

IFF:

Keep after them, your luck can change out there in an instant!

Grey:

Been out? I know your season is up and coming, wondering if it passed me by? Anyway, if you haven't been out yet, best of luck, and let us know how you did!

Joel

Joel,

I'm in the middle of my season (G).

The first few days were concentrating on gettin my 16 year old son a bird. He bagged his first turkey last spring with a shotgun.

This year he decided to give it a try with a bow. Two jakes came into our blind and he made a sweet 30 yard shot for his first archery bird. Made the old man awfully proud once again. grin.gif I'll post some pics when I get some time.

Since then I've passed on a couple jakes, and chose not to take a long shot at big boss. (I'm still wondering if I made the right choice). Three days left of ticks and bug bites.

I'm still having a hard time figuring out the evening hunts.

Later,

Grey

Grey:

Very cool to hear that your son got a bird. At 30 yards, that's no easy task on any turkey.

You made the right decision on long-shots. I've seen too many breast-shot turkeys that guys say will be just fine. I'm never so sure, and it's just not worth it. They're tough enough to kill if you're spot on. Long shots increase the chances of a poor hit exponentially. Esp. if this is an area you like to hunt year after year, which I know it is.

Take out the boom-stick and let 'em have it!

Joel

Well, I'm sorry guys. I thought sure I was going to come through for Team 3 at the last moment today. But I got greedy. I could only hunt until about 11:00am this morning. At about 9:30 the rain let up to a slow drizzle, and I had three birds crossing the field towards me. The first two were jakes and the last one looked like probably a two year old. Nothing huge, but a nice adult bird.

The jakes came right past the blind and I was sure the Tom would follow. After passing 10 yd shots at both jakes, the Tom decided to take a hard left and cross the fenceline I was on. No shot. crazy.gif

All in all though, I had a great season. Especially for a late season and despite the ticks and variety of weather conditions. I saw enough birds to keep everyday interesting. I ended up passing short yardage shots on six jakes, and two questionable shots on Tom's.

I've only had to eat my spring tag twice since I started turkey hunting, but being with my son when he took his first archery bird made the season a huge success. (I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm having a hard time posting photos of his bird)

By the way Joel: Thanks for recommending the ground blind. I had never used one prior to this season, and now I wish I had gotten one years ago.

Grey:

Have no regrets about a great hunt. While not a sure-thing, I feel pretty good about your odds on those jakes within 10 yards. Getting your son a bird is more than worth it; I can't wait until my son is old enough to go out with me.

As for the ground-blind, I was lucky enough to get the same advice back when Double Bull was just getting going. My turkey-hunting mentor did some tile-work for one of the owners, and got a proto-type model in partial trade.

We still hunt out of that 10 year-old+ blind, and have taken several turkeys out of it, gun and bow. With a bow, I really wouldn't think of trying to turkey hunt without it.

The well-rounded turkey hunter owes it to themselves at least to try it!

Joel

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Greybeard,

Get your son's photo hosted on a photo hosting website. You'll need to copy the Http: address for the photo's location. Many sites will have a box with the address in it. If not right click on the full sized photo on the site and click properties. It'll list the location in the pop up box. Just highlight the entire address and copy it. Once here, make a post. Below the text box there are buttons for "Instant UBB Code". Click the Image button. Paste the address in the new pop up box nad click ok. It will do the Code formatting for you.

If you still can't get it to work send it to me and I'll get it posted for you. jeffonthewater at aol (Contact Us Please) com

Good Luck!

It took me a while to get these posted, but here are some photos of my sons first archery bird mentioned in the posts above.

tommymd0.jpg

tommy2tn6.jpg

Greybeard53, congrats to you and your son.

Awsome!!!!

Congrats to you two! laugh.gif

Looks to me like God's Country! Good photos and good work.....not an easy game.

Joel

Thanks guys! Definitely an enjoyable season.

I agree about it being God's country Joel. The only problem is, all the turkeys in that valley seem pretty spooky. Apparently they must have some FishingMN Prostaff Director chasing them around all spring. laugh.gif

Good luck on the last day of the season. I saw two Toms strutting (taunting me) yesterday afternoon.