Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smbassman

swell bay fishing?

4 posts in this topic

We will be fishing swell bay in late May thru the 1st of June, and was wondering if anyone likes to fish Swell or Redgut better? We fish for smallmouth primarily but also walleye.

Due to travel times we usually limit ourselves to these two areas. We stay in Bears pass.

smbassman,

Either bay will be excellent for both species. I have a tendency to lean towards Redgut 'cause I feel it has a little more to offer, but Swell is a great bay too. I like that fact that you can go from bass, to walleye, to big northern, to muskie, and even crappies in Redgut without having to run and gun too much.

Thanks for the reply.

I have fished redgut quite a bit, but never found a crappie place. Is there any general locations you can give to start?

We have done real well in the current area where the high lines go over for walleye, but that spot gets pretty crowded at times, and I try to stay away from crowds for the most part unless my other spots are producing nothing.

Just never had any luck with crappie. I do know where spawn inlet is, would that be a good place to start, and should I be far back up in the bays for crappie?

Thanks in advance.

If you dont want to run all the way to the high line you might want to focus on the lift bridge and the bears pass bridge. You have to contend with some traffic while everyone blows by heading up but we do very well early season in these spots but it can be sporatic depending on the amount of water moving through so if the fish aren't there move around a bit and start workign your way up to porters and the high line.

Also the end of swell can be very productive but the walleyes seems to head to the main lake pretty quickly depending on the temp. but its worth a try if your looking to stay close.