• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cats in open water

JiggingSpoon

Hey Guys,

I was just wondering if people target those cats on the chain just as much in the open water. I have a few spots where we just pounded them this winter and never have tried to catch them in open water. Do they bite this time of year? What are your basic tactics? Do they hold in the same spots as they do in the winter? I have absolutely no knowledge about this and was wondering if i could get a few answers. Thanks a bunch!

JS

The main tactic I use is finding a deep hole on the chain then toss down the usual sinker with sneel and some dead sucker or a crawler. And just sit back and relax. cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Their patterns change a lot during the open water. They will be everywhere on the chain. Deep holes. Current edges. Or even up in the shallows. Heck, I've even got 'em with the fly rod out on the Chain before. Personally, I enjoy fishing them up in the shallows during the summer. They eat anything and everything in the summer. Much different than during the winter.

Yep, you'll get them everywhere in the summer. The wierdest cat bite I've had on the Chain was fishing spinnerbaits in shallow lilly pads!

Man, I want to get over there. Should have gone this winter. I grew up fishing the shoe with my grandparents and never caught cats. Since then I think the stocking has really took off.

Maybe I can catch some on something really off the wall to test that anything and everything theory.