• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

River Update

Was excited about finally getting in at Birchdale yesterday. Evidently too excited to get new tags for my boat.

Had her launched & buddy climbed in when the friendly neighborhood CO called it to my attention. Nice guy, no ticket. Very embarassing!

So, report is still second hand. Had a party in that stopped at the wayside park and watched a boat catch 3 in a couple minutes. They put in at Birchdale, motored down, and caught fish and watched others catch for a short time till it shut of at 2:30. They didn't stay long so maybe another run after that, which wouldn't be unusual.

Ramp was fine for a 17.5/115hp on bunkers. Still a big chunk in front but angle up stream a bit and no problem. Open water down to about mm #151.

Water clarity was stained and dirty but I have caught fish in dirtier. Guys who were on the last two days said clarity was improving yesterday as the day went on.

Didn't really want the cold but it really shut down the run-off and helped for the long run.

The fat lady was warming up pretty good for a while, but don't think she's ready to sing quite yet.

We had temps ranging from 34 to 36 degrees on Sunday, but we were upstream a few miles. I doubt its any higher than that next to the ice line.

Doug thats good to hear about the clarity improving a little. After staying at your place Sunday, I'd already like to get right back up there after Easter weekend if possible. We only got the two big sturgeon, but it was a blast and it sounds like the walters are at least showing up a little...

PS Did you and Marilyn get the stoogen pics on your email yet?

Marilyn printed your pix & they are laying on the office counter. Got lots of lookers the last few days.

Think your plan for next week could work well as forecast looks positive for warm-up but not much faith in forecasts anymore.

Had some very tough guys who got out in the wind & snow yesterday & caught fish. BRRRRRR!

With each passing year, I feel more like my dad, which is probably much more sensable than the younger version of me... Its good to hear of improvements though. Like my dad, I think I'll wait until the weather breaks a little. I remember on Sunday hearing all the statewide weather "experts" say the Crow Wing County area would be on the southern fringe of this storm and only receive about 3-5" tops... Now I'm looking out my office window at 12 inches. Sheesh... Niced going --- GOOF ON THE ROOF - PAUL DOUGLAS...

The good news is: Clarity has returned to "Good Spring Rainy" (a term I just created). Much improvement over 2 days ago.

Bad news is: River is iceing up at B'dale.

Guys are still getting in and boats are down to mm #151 but having to break some ice to get out.

Crazy thing is, the river has opening further down with wet spots down to about 1 mile above Frontier landing, but still lots of sheet ice at B'dale.

Haven't got a report today so no idea what fish are doing.

Temps are low but sun is out & cooking.

Once more, our fishermen are the best!!!! I believe that people show their true character in negative situations and our folks are of excellent character! In spite of weather, conditions, & equipment failure our guys are making the best of a bad situation.

Forecast looks good. We'll see.

I went on a little tour of the river yesterday, from Baudette to Franz Jevne. My first time by the river this time of year. We stopped at birchdale for a while, about 5 boats in front of the landing. I didnt have a boat and was forced to watch from the landing. I only saw a few fish landed in an hour, one looked like it was a decent size. I also got a few reports, but none sounded good. Had a chance to talk to the Clementson owner (sorry I didnt get your name if you are reading), he was really nice and helpful, if anyone gets up to the river I recomend him or the Dutchmen. He was actually able to still go out and ice fish last night with a six wheeler! I know the Dutchmen responded last time about possibly having boats, but it doesnt look like you will have any available before I have to leave on Monday. On that note, I know this might sound quite crazy, but does anyone know of any shore fishing on the Rainy this time of year, and what to use? If possible, I would like to go somewhere west of Franz Jevne. Otherwise, I might have to wait a few weeks and go for a sturgeon.

Here is last Sunday's big one. It tops my biggest ever...

She went 66 pounds, 62 inches, two hours and 1.6 miles downstream on 8# Trilene XL.

According to the DNR chart she's about 35 years old, I wonder if we have the same birth year?

She's still out there of course if you guys want to play with her...

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t185/jgorr/769418-R1-02-23A_011.jpg?t=1175924979

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t185/jgorr/769418-R1-03-22A_010.jpg?t=1175925104

Wow!!

Those pics are great! Really captures the moment.

Must have been quite the ride on walleye gear. laugh.gif

Shore fishing may be possible at the wayside park in the mm #152-153 area depending on the shore ice. It was open to the bank last Sunday but has iced up and reopened a couple of times since. Use jigs & bait or plastics and be prepared to loose them. If you're not getting hung up you're probably not on the bottom where you need to be.

Fishing conditions have been very hard on equipment & fishermen this week. Having to break sheet ice for the last 3 days to get in at B'dale. The ones that work at it are catching fish. Nothing like anyone hopes or expects to find in April with our best report yesterday being 25 fish/2 guys.

Lots of smiles around our place tonight. Most boats lost track of numbers but heard some 50-60 stuff. Three of us did ~60 in 6 hours with a 25,26,& 27. Heard of a 28/29 double in one boat. Had 2 or 3 tripples in our boat.

Sun was out all day and water was glass about as much as it was rippled. Temp hit 38 I think.

River is bank to bank down 7 or 8 miles I think. Got into fish before we got there & didn't get down to the break.

Some folks swore they had the magic color but no two boats had the same color. Mine was gold. Only common thread was big rainbows. Some folks doing ok on plastics or scent baits.

Doug,

Awesome news....great to hear the good report. Wish'd I was there.

Where are you getting the big rainbows? (are they 3-4")?

We did good on 3-4" goldens and spottails. Orange head and chartruse body was good for numbers, but the pink split tail produced a 28.5"/9.5# pig for my buddy. We looked around at one time and seven guys in four boats were fighting walleyes within forty yards of ours. It definately was faster and faster as the day wore on. Definately a beautiful day on the border!

Nice report Doug....Time to get after them....Finally!

fiskyknut

Gorilla,

Good to hear you got into them. Also enjoyed your sturgeon pics. That baby had some girth...much fatter than the 61 incher we got last year.

Was wondering about the water temps, clarity, and how far downstream you were able to get? I might be up there for one last shot at it Thursday and Friday.

Thinking about heading up this weekend but have never been there. Where is my best bet to go? I have a 17 1/2 Skeeter tiller-

Thanks-

Michael

Birchdale is wide open and clear of ice for even the big glass boats now. Like Clementson is predicting, I think that Frontier will be very clear in the next couple days. Despite the slow current, now with all the boat traffic, the waves are doing lots of ice damage.

Some things to be aware of whether you've been there before or not.

Its a river full of hazards this year, more than most.

Within 1/4 mile of the ramp I saw guys flying by in there huge boats at full trottle within 3 feet of a not so obvious 10" deadhead... I also saw several rocks where we normally don't and the fish are forced to be in shallower water overall due to a very low river.

Is it safe to bring your big boats, sure, just be extra careful of lots of hazards, including guys doing 45+ MPH within 10 yards of groups of anglers...

I get shocked every year at how the guys think they are on 494 and they could never go careening off course into that poor 12 footer anchored in the middle...

Its not much more polite to idle back your Miami Vice boat to half plane, and slow down only to send a tsunami into the group of anglers and onto the shoreline. My vote is stay on plane and wizz by at a safe distance, or if its conjested like it often is in spots, slow down far enough away and fast idle past the group without pushing a tidal wave. Believe it or not that should apply to the anglers near the access as well, they may not have a big boat and can only go so far. This is the time of the year the anglers start becoming the danger as much as swamping a boat in 35 degree water.

Be careful of hazards AND of fellow anglers. There are plenty of fish for everyone, just be polite, careful, and have fun.

Well put Gorrilla!

It does appear that the big "tournament" type boats are the worst for speed & space allotment. Think it's the conditioning from that sort of environment. We have often used the phrase "the bigger the boat the bigger the A-hole". Even at this time of year and limitted water available, there is still time and room to be civil. But on the opposite side, even living here, I don't know the depth and hazards on a lot of the shoreline & I'm not comfortable running close in a lot of areas. I will try to drop my speed and evenly space myself through a group of boats. I appologize for any offense taken.

On a happier note, bite was pretty good today. Buddy & I put in at 11:30 and had 30 fish by 1:30. Slowed down a bit and had 45 by 3:00 when he tied into a 60" sturgeon which ran us out of our kitchen passes and had to go home. Oh yeah, caught 1 while I was waiting for him to go get the truck.

Nothing big today other than the first fish of the day that my buddy lost. Heard of a few pigs to 29".

River has broke through Frontier and imagine boats will be pushing in there tomorrow. Appears open to about a mile below.

How much lower is the river compared to last year. last year i had to lauch at birchdale because frontier still had shore ice and in between the two access i came across several spots that were 6 feet or less. It looks like i will be doing the same this year. just wondering what to expect. thanks will be up tomorrow night fishing on thurs. i agree slow down and be polite. a little common curtsy will go along way!!

Yes, some areas are quite shallow. The shallow corner above Frontier is extremely shallow this year. Stay in the middle and you "should" be OK. There are deadheads (logs/pilings) throughout the river and subject to daily change. All eyes should be forward when underway.

Forgot to mention earlier that one of our groups got hit hard by our neighbors to the north. Word of caution: a border infraction is an initial $1000. The bait, license, and beer are extra.

for you guys wondering, the roughly $55 dollars American money seems like a bargain for the Canadian Conservation license and Remote Border Crossing Permit when compared to $1000+... I know we've all probably "accidentally" drifted one foot or so over, but I hear they can be real dinks on their dumb imaginary line.

I sure hope my MN minnows listened when I told them they weren't allowed to swim across the line if they fell off my jig... confused.gif

Where does a person go to get the canadian license and Remote crossing permit on a short notice? Thanks

Cross the bridge at Baudette and tell the Can. border guy/gal what your after. Say sir/ma'am alot. Fishing license can be purchased at the far end of Rainy River(town). Then stop back on the US side for the other permit. Say sir /ma'am a lot. Then go fishing.

Can you elaborate on the "stop at the US side for the other permit"? I have the RABC permit and a canadian fishing license, but wasn't aware that we needed anything from US customs? I definitely want to make sure I'm not missing something......

Thanks Doug

You need the I68 form available at the U.S. customs stations. Doesn't take too long--some paperwork and they run a background check on you. It allows you to return to the U.S. side without stopping at customs. Basically, you need to phone in when you return to land--the legal alternative is going to the customs station (or the couple of video/phone kiosks around). With the greatly increased number of customs agents since since 911, it's not something you want to be without--it would be expensive.

I was told by the officers at the Northwest Sportshow that starting this year you don't have to get the permit for the U.S. They gave me a copy of the law stating the same.

pznak, that would be a good deal as a guy sure ends up with lots of paper but I'm skeptical. The I-68 is still there to be downloaded at the US Immigration site.

Anybody been to customs trying to get one lately?

I was leary of even responding in case I misunderstood the custom agent and I didn't want to look like a bozo if I had it wrong. The fact sheet that he gave me is effective Jan. 1, 2007 and is titled Reporting requirements for all private boat operators in Mn and N.D. boundary waters. It is from Homeland Security and U.S. customs and border protection, and is for Lake of the woods, Crane, Rainy River, Rainy Lake, and Lake Metigoshe in N.D. basically what it says is under the section WHEN REPORTING IS REQUIRED is you must report if you have touched land in Canada or had contact with any hovering vessel, so if you don't do either of those items you don't have to report. He mentioned that it is new this year. I will be keeping the fact sheet that he gave me in my boat, just in case, but he said that it is a good change.

What range of jig weights are you guys all using that have been up there? I want to be sure I'm stocked up on the right sizes. Sounds like the current is lower than what I'm used to so thought I'd ask.

thanks,

ccarlson

pznak do you have a forum number for that fact sheet. I would like to know where I could find it so I could get a copy of it.