Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PanfishSeeker

Clouser Question

4 posts in this topic

I just started tieing flyies this winter in hopes of repairing all my old panfish jigs, and wouldn't you know it I got addicted. About a week ago I tied a few clouser minnows and yesterday I tried them out. I couldn't believed they actually worked! I caught a few crappies on my yellow/white with silver flash. It was pretty gratifying. Anyways my question is, About how many fish can you catch on a clouser? After the the first 2 fish some of the hairs were bent, not broken, but I was wondering if that was something I should be planning on and always have a few backups?

It really depends on how toothy the fish are. For crappies, 20 or 30 fish is realistic. Don't worry about bent hairs. The flys have to be pretty thoroughly trashed before they stop being effective. Use extra head cement on the wrappings and it will be more durable. For all flies, I always add two coats of head cement, allowing the first coat to dry before applying the second. It makes a big difference in durability.

tie those clousers with Superhair or it's lighter weight version, unique hair, for panfish. The stuff lasts longer than bucktail and the hairs don't bend or break off. the superhair works great for toothy fish like pike.

put a ton of epoxy on the threadwraps around the head and you should be able to catch a ton of fish. The only thing that will wreck your fly will be if they swallow it and you have to dig it out with a pliers. I've tied up a bunch of clousers on tubes to try to avoid that. I'll be testing them out this spring.