• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Motor Damage Question

Water Hazard

Question

I thought I would post this question on here to see if anyone else has had this happen and if so, what the outcome was.

This past fall, I placed my motor in storage at the MN State Fairgrounds. I followed the instructions in the Yamaha user's manual (to store the motor in the vertical position).

When I got the boat back out of storage last week, the entire skag and 3-4 inches up the vertical part of the lower unit were damaged. It was apparent that the motor was drug against or run into something. The base metal layer of the motor is now showing (the paint/undercoat was all ground away).

In addition, the motor is now leaking gear lube as I believe the oil plug for the lower unit was damaged somehow.

I bought the motor in July of 2006 (it is a 2006 Yamaha F60 4-stroke).

Does anyone have any suggestions what I should do next? I am a bit nervous about starting it up without maybe having a mechanic look it over. My boss mentioned that there was a seal where the drive shaft goes from vertical to horizontal and that it might have been damaged. In addition, I have no idea how hard/long it was hit/drug so I am not sure how to tell of the bolts that hold the motor to the boat were damaged.

Any suggestions you have are appreciated!!

8 answers to this question

I would think that the storage facility should be held liable unless you signed a contract that states otherwise. I would not advise starting the engine as the damage is significant enough to cause a leak. Hopefully you have purchased insurance for your rig; if you did, then they should cover the loss in the event the storage facility doesn't. Good luck, hope this helps.

Have it looked at by a certified tech, tell them what happened when you bring it in. If the Lower unit was twisted or shifted it can cause all sorts of havock down the road. It will seam fine for a little while until the LO starts heating up from poor bearing alignment. I cranked a log once and the Lower Unit appeared fine, so 9 miles miles out we went the next day until the LO heated up and seized up, 9 miles out from bearing alignment.

waterhazard,

With a nice new motor, you want to be sure to get it fixed completely right. Get both the opinion of a quality dealer service shop and your insurance adjustor will hopefully see what all needs to be done as well.

Hopefully you have a witness or proof that the motor was damaged as you said while you still had it at the storage facility. Perhaps a worker at the site or a friend that helped you get it out.

If the damage happened as you say it did, the storage facility is responsible for the damage. My suggestion would be to talk to the manager of the facility and ask for them to cover all the repair. Be sure to get their insurance information. If he argues with you and doesn't want to be responsible, you don't need to argue with him, just ask him for his insurance information and tell him your insurance company will be contacting his insurance company about the matter. If he won't give you the insurance info, just give your insurance company his name and number. Then let them hash it out. Be sure to specify to your insurance company that you paid the place to store it there. That makes them a commercial operation for which they are liable for the contents regardless of your insurance coverage. Your insurance company will then subrogate the claim to his company or the owner of the facility if they are negligent.

Get the ball rolling though, you could be looking at several weeks of processing time and repairs.

ccarlson

I stored my boat at the Fairgrounds for one year. When I got it out of storage the traolling motor had been stolen. The fairgrounds did nothing and said I needed to turn the claim into my insurance company. Needless to say I did not store my boat there again. Hopefully you will have a better outcome than I had.

As others stated the Fairgrounds should be liable, VERY LIABLE, but if you signed any waiver you might be SOL.

Don't start the motor, contact your insurance co and ask them what to do. You need a good mechanic to replace the complete lower unit or at least the case, you are talking between $ 1000 and $ 3500.

Send me an email regarding this.

Valv-

Thank you for the suggestions! What is your email address?

unfortunately most of the storage contracts I've ever seen have a waiver of any and all liability and a "store at your own risk" clause. Look at your contract if they did a written one. Some times there are also signs there indicating they accept no liability for damage or stolen items during storage. If they didn't have either of these, then they are sure liable if you can prove the damage happened while in their care.