• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team 'Longbeard' - #5

Cooter

Might as well make this our 'roosting site'. Should be fun for the next couple weeks!

Our roost site is a small patch of oaks with lots of horizontal limbs sitting on the top of a large ridge. Or...is it several tall white pines on a creek bend?

I didn't fell much like gobbling this morning smirk.gif

Every once and a while someone puts super glue on my barstool grin.gif Boys, unless the weather is terrible I'm forecasting a nice tom for team Longbeard.

That's what we like to hear! Anyone else hunting A or do I get the lone pleasure of starting us off?

April 18th....I'll be bringing up the rear during the archery season.

Happy to be a "Longbeard". This is my first year going after the longbeards. I am hunting the last week of the season. will be in the zone 461. will be checkin back to see how everyone is doing. Good Luck!

461 huh, I'll be in 462 myself. I'll listen for the sound of you shotgun....

Hey guys, good luck to us all. I'll be hunting season G in area 342. I'm from the Elgin area (NE of Roch).

Yeah it's gettin closer. We must all do our part to out-shoot these other chump teams....

Quote:

to out-shoot these other chump teams....

CHUMP? Hey I resemble that! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

We're comin' We're comin'!!!

Good Luck!

Ken

Who's this jake invading our roost site? Time for a spur slappin! grin.gif

He's worried boys, checkin in on us!

Stay out of our thread, we don't want our's smellin like turkey feces too.

Trust me I've been called chump more often than champ....especailly in the realm of turkey hunt'n....I'm counting on my teamates big time...

Quote:

Who's this jake invading our roost site?

Just trying to bust up the flock! Do I hear a lil' bit of nervous putts?

Watch out for us Jakes... we haven't learned "we can't do it yet"!

Good Luck!

Ken

That's it...now the feathers are gonna fly! wink.gif

Its not a nervous putt you hear, its a fightin purr! mad.gif

I hope so, that nub spurred, stub beard jake is scaring our hens away.

• 2 weeks later...

Well boys... what started as an incredible morning turned sour upon my release. Had my new new video cam running and would've had some amazing audio had I turned the mic on. Novice mistake. Lesson well learned. Well at 625 a Tom came in to 10 yards but behind the blind in brush and wouldn't commit to the decoy. 5 min later I called in a hen and she was mad! We exchanged slurs back and forth and finally Vtttt Dooommmmm Vttt Dooommmm I see his softball head bobbin through the brush and he struts right up to my decoy 10 yds away. Video rolling. He's standing full strut by my decoy. I release an arrow through the mesh. And now I sit with two wing feathers to show for it... I practiced shooting last night and the last arrow I shot was with my guillotine which requires me to adjust my slider to 30. Well I forgot to change it back... Another lesson learned. I replayed the video slomo and watched my arrow hit... no damage done. Actually he walked off 10 yds and fanned out again at a real hen. I wasn't able to get another shot. I was sick after realizing where my arrow went and finding out I had no audio for the morning. I'll probably head out again this afternoon and see what happens... Don't count me out just yet.

Hey that's the way it goes man, get out there and drill then next one. The rest of team longbeard is on your side!

Glad to hear you had some action! If a guy doesn't have stories like that then he hasn't hunted much. Stick with it - put us on the board dude!

You should try entering the feathers for the contest! grin.gif

it's been tough since opening morning... i've called in hens but can't get any beards to come in. it's been real windy all week making if difficult to hear/call. this morning i sat through a terrential rain and lightning storm... supprisingly enough the birds still gobbled during the thunderclaps but had hens and went the other way. i tried a hot tip on a brute yesterday morning right after flydown but he didn't show. last night i tried a hot roosting spot... but that didn't pan out either. lots of oaks around and they alternate spots weather dependant. i'm going to head to a new property this afternoon if this rain lets up and give it a whirl. gettin down to the wire now... i'll keep ya updated.

Well guys... after 5 days of hitting it hard and lots of blown opportunities I came up short in the end. I released a few arrows but the mn hex continues for me. Even though I didn't harvest a bird it was still very successful. Best of luck to the rest of you on your upcoming hunts and may the turkey gods be on your side. Would someone please kill a turkey!

Glad you had a good time! I'll try to pick you up on Wed!

We'd trade you but don't think we'd get much in return ooo.gifwink.gif

Best of luck to ya... the weather has been ideal. Get us on the board!

Well boys, we're on the board! cool.gif Found a willing bird early this morning and worked him off the roost into range. 22lbs, 10" beard and .75" spurs. Got all the 'official' pics on my buds camera so might be Monday before I enter it - time to get my bud his bird now. Anyway, Team Longbeard is in the hunt! Good luck to you guys.