Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dances with Walleye

Stupid question about tieing up my own Lindy Rigs

12 posts in this topic

So yesterday I cleaned up my tackle box, and reorganized it. I had a bunch of Lindy rigs where the line was old and crappy, so I canabalized them for components. And figured I'd tie some up myself using Vanish.

Okay, it's been 2 years since I tied my own Lindy Rig... For some reason every loop knot I tied broke when I tested it... When I tied them I felt like I was forgetting something.

Does anyone have a quick and easy link with Pics or some awesomely detailed description...

I know I'm doing something wrong, (Brain must be getting softer with each passing birthday) and figure it's just best to re-learn from scratch.

Thanks In Advance.

were you lubricating the knots before tightening them? Fluorocarbon especially has problems with strength if the knots isnt lubricated properly with either, spit, water, or fish scent.

This site shows it pretty well: http://www.animatedknots.com/snell/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

When you are tying more than one hook, just leave a long tag end and tie the second hook on the tag end. The hooks should line up for best performance and you should be able to line them up right before you pull it tight.

FWIW, our experience with Vanish (when it first came out) was not so good... They should have called it "Snap" and it would have made more sense wink.gif

Just threw out a spool of it Friday night.

Quote:

This site shows it pretty well:

When you are tying more than one hook, just leave a long tag end and tie the second hook on the tag end. The hooks should line up for best performance and you should be able to line them up right before you pull it tight.

Perfect!

Thanks Bro...

Now if this site just had a reputation system!

Quote:

FWIW, our experience with Vanish (when it first came out) was not so good... They should have called it "Snap" and it would have made more sense
wink.gif

Just threw out a spool of it Friday night.

I have also had the same problems with Vanish even when I wet the knots! frown.gif Can't even count how many fish broke off just from the hookset!

Stopped using it!

Cliff

Agreed, I lost a couple of nice walleyes due to knots breaking. I went to a copolymer and have been happy with it.

Dances with walleyes, what do you mean by loop knot?

I meant Surgeon's Loop...

I've just found that when I say "Surgeon's Loop" in the midst of fellow anglers, and I get a lot of talk about "Surgeons Knot."

So to cut through the haze I just fall back to the old layman's term of "Loop Knot"

Where in a Lindy Rig are you using a loop knot? I tie snell knots on the hooks and I tie the other end to a swivel. I don't see where a loop knot comes into play. Not that there's a right or wrong, I'm just trying to picture it.

I also use a loop knot at times on my lindys especially if I already have a snap swivel tied on my main line.

I do not always tie the swivel on my lindys is all. Makes it a little easier to change rigs.

Cliff

I use this method, tie on the bottom hook, add the 2nd hook and sometimes the 3rd. put the line thru the eye down the shank of the hook about 1/2 in.wrap the line around the shank and the 1/2 in of line 7 times and go back up thru the eye of the hook, for second hook, position the hook on the line above the first hook where you want it and repeat the first proceedure.