• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fixing ramps?

lotsofish

The low water can make it difficult at times to get your boat in the water. Of course there's not much the DNR can do about water levels, that's mother natures doing, but I am wondering how often they look at public accesses and fix the ones that are really flat. Even if the water levels are low, it's a lot easier to get your boat in the lake if the ramp has a decent grade and is not just flat.

There are two lakes in particular that I can think of, though I am sure there are a lot more. Green Lake in Chisago access is pretty bad. I remember last year I was putting in there and when I had reached the point where on most lakes was far enough (which for me is when I can still get out without getting my feet wet) and the water wasn't even halfway up the trailer tires. The other lake is Turtle Lake in Shoreview. I drove by there the other day and about 20 feet out from the access only looked about a foot deep or so.

Unfortunately, I'm sure that lack of money has a big part of why they can't dig out all the flat ones, but it sure would be nice. smile.gif

If you inform your local co, they will inspect it and when the time is right if they think it needs it they will repair it, but if they dont hear about which ones are bad then they wont know which ones to repair!

I can honestly say the landings around my house are tip top and super nice.

Those ramps are a piece of cake compared to Weaver Lake in Maple Grove.

Dedicated Funding??? did you contact your reps.?? With out arts interfearing.

Some times the ramps are better left alone.The army corp ramp on gull is worse now than before they tried to make it better.Burl.

Try loading at the access off the highway on Howard Lake.

Can you say "scrape".

The ramps nowadays are much better than we had years ago. I guess I didn't think I was old, but I must be. How many remember the old access on Linwood on the west side? The one with the 45 degree climb back up to the cty road. How about where it was before that? Actually it was where it is presently but there was only a trail/tote road going to the lake, then you had to find a place to park in the woods somewhere.

There was no such thing as concrete ramps in these parts back then. I think in the early to mid 80's we started seeing upgraded ramps. I guess I kind of miss the old days.

I remember the old ramp on Linwood. And on Turtle.

Quote:

The ramps nowadays are much better than we had years ago. I guess I didn't think I was old, but I must be. How many remember the old access on Linwood on the west side? The one with the 45 degree climb back up to the cty road. How about where it was before that? Actually it was where it is presently but there was only a trail/tote road going to the lake, then you had to find a place to park in the woods somewhere.

There was no such thing as concrete ramps in these parts back then. I think in the early to mid 80's we started seeing upgraded ramps. I guess I kind of miss the old days.

I remember that old ramp on Linwood. I would go there with my old man early Saturday mornings and if you wern't one of the first three boats you were parking on Hwy 22. It was a heck of a time getting back on 22 fully loaded.

Sounds alot like a canadian boat ramp... if you call it a ramp.

Holy cow are yous guys bringing back some memories.

Ya, I remember the old landing on Linwood. I also remember, very vividly, the new landing. My dad, my older brother, my uncle, and myself lumberjacked the road for the new landing. The whole road. All I did was cut wood and make a road. Nothing but cutting wood. Did I mention we cut wood???

If your truck wasn't all power you didn't even dare use the old landing as you'd never get up "The hill."

Across cty 22 from Linwoods new landing is the creek that feeds island lake. That creek was the landing and the only way to get a boat on Island unless you wanted to carry one down the gated off road.

Are the access's better now?? U betcha.

Yeah, I do agree the accesses now are much better than in the old days. Concrete rocks! cool.gif I wasn't complaining or anything, I guess I was just thinking that since they will be out there over the next few weeks putting the docks in, I hope they notice the ones that are really flat and that they will eventually get dug out a bit.

I was just a kid when we used to go out of the old Linwood access. My dad and uncle still tell stories about that one. They always had one guy standing at the top of the hill to let the guy in the truck know when the road was clear, because once you started, you couldn't stop. You had to keep going right up the hill and onto the road. ooo.gif

Quote:

That ramp was a fun time in the winter. I remember having to post a person at the top so the driver could get a run at it because it was so icy.

Boilerman,

The island lake access is still the same as it was. So when you say you lumberjacked the road for the Linwood access, do you mean the original road where the access is today. There was always a logging road there for years but they widened it when they built the new landing and moved it from the steep one. What year did you do the lumberjacking? I remember a sa kid, before they built the steep landing that logging road was the only way onto the lake. Then one winter day dad and I went ice fishing not knowing that there was a new access (the steep one) on the west side of the lake. It was the early to mid 70's and we were dricing dad's 71 dodge station wagon. I remember him saying "boy, not to many people fishing since the snow" as he had the old wagon to the floor boards to get through the snow. We weaved our way through the woods on the logging trail to the lake. We we hit the lake all was good until dad sunk the old wagon in a slush hole and got stuck. He left me with the car and he walked back to Carlisles garage and returned with a tow truck. The tow truck driver then informed us of the new access.

LM

Been a while. I'm trying to shake out the cobwebs and remember.

We were the crew that widened the old logging road (more like a deer trail) on the west side of the lake off of Cty 22 to the new access. I'm thinking this was late 70's early 80's-ish time frame. We did this shortly after we cut the road that led from Martin lake drive to Tamarac lake. I don't remember the name of that road, it's been a while.

What I thought kind of funny is everyone drove past little old island lake to get to Linwood, coon, martin, etc. I lived about 1000 yards through the woods off of Island and holy cow did we ever catch some nice fish out of that lake. I still remember when Alten Nelson had his beer and burger resort there.

Carlisle's garage. Now there's a few more memories.

Boiler,

Yes, there are some nice ones in Island. I have caught numerous "fun pike" out of there and a wall hanger Bucket mouth. Was the beer and burger joint you speak of the "Martin House"? or was there actually a place on Island lake? Mom and dad used to take me and my brothers to the old Martin House once and again on a fridy night back in the early 70's.

I guess if you lived 1000 yards through the woods, you must have lived near Dick Heller or somewhere in that area? His place is long gone now and sold off and homes built.

LM

The beer/burger joint was on Island. Before the county got the land. The one building on the park land used to be it.

I went to school with the guys that owned the Martin House. It was Zappas before that.

I grew up on CTY 26, right by the road that led halfway to island lake. I don't know Dick Heller. I'm sure my folks do, tho.