Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
capmorgan

Mercury 90hp prop

7 posts in this topic

A friend of mine has a 90 hp Mercury and needs a prop. His motor I would say is between 1993-1998. This the 2nd time he dinged it up by hitting rocks in the last 2 years so is there a certain one that doesnt get dinged up as easy?

Probably the one he stays away from the rocks with. If he switches to a stainless, he could end up doing more damage to other parts such as bending the prop shaft. Aluminum is forgiving, stainless is not.

boatfixer is right on here - a stainless won't bend as much, but will do some serious damage to the lower unit if he hit something again.

How bad is the prop dinged? Prop shops can repair most dings unless it's missing a lot of the blade.

marine_man

From what I saw it was bent up on the blades and 1 broken piece off of it. Ill tell him to go with aluminum, are all the brands of aluminum pretty much the same and is there a place that has good deals for them?

Soderblooms is one of the businesses that keeps this website running, check them out here: Soderbloom's

Other than that most aluminum props are pretty similar. Presuming he's happy with his performance make sure he gets the same diamter and pitch prop.

marine_man

If he can't stay out of the rocks perhaps a ComProp is the way to go.

There's no fixing them, but at only ~$80 each, it might be cheaper than the cost of repair.

Jay Soderbloom will take care of you with a repair replacement.